What Food/Dish Do You Hate To Prepare?

It is available here frozen with nothing added.

The recipes I've used call for the paste/pulp, not watered down, so I have to be judicious with the water used, or let it drain for forever with cheesecloth or similar.

It is available here frozen with nothing added.

The recipes I've used call for the paste/pulp, not watered down, so I have to be judicious with the water used, or let it drain for forever with cheesecloth or similar.
Never seen it frozen, ever!

With most of my recipes, the extra water is easily boiled or simmered off without affecting the dish, so it's no big deal making it thinner and simmering for an extra 5 minutes. I just dock 5 minutes elsewhere so as not to overcook any veg. Lentils etc can handle an extra 5 minutes without affecting them.

The recipes I've used call for the paste/pulp,
In Venezuela you can buy tamarind in a block. The tamarind is podded, but then just pressed into a block of about 250 - 500 gms and wrapped in cellophane. I break off a piece and soak it in water. Then, before straining, I break up the paste/seeds with my finger. Finally, I push the tamarind through a sieve using a oden spoon. That way, I conserve as much of the pulp as possible.
Any excess pulp is put in a jar in the fridge.

In Venezuela you can buy tamarind in a block. The tamarind is podded, but then just pressed into a block of about 250 - 500 gms and wrapped in cellophane. I break off a piece and soak it in water. Then, before straining, I break up the paste/seeds with my finger. Finally, I push the tamarind through a sieve using a oden spoon. That way, I conserve as much of the pulp as possible.
Any excess pulp is put in a jar in the fridge.
Yep, that's why I get only here in Australia the seeds are broken up as well (no pods) so that they can't germinate. (Aussie biosecurity is quite strict!) So i soak in warm water, mash it up, work it through the sieve as you describe and wash the sieve with a little extra water to get as much off it as possible. Very little is left in the sieve by the time I'm done.

Excess block is just wrapped up, sealed in an airtight container and stored on the shelf set aside for herbs and spices.

We can get it here too with it broken down, but stuff still in it. The frozen stuff is more expensive but you don't have to mess with cleaning it and can break a piece off the size you need after it sits out for a few minutes, then put the rest back in the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom