What Food is Your Kryptonite?

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
5:40 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
I have heard so many people talk about how chocolate is their weakness that I almost think it's not worth mentioning: of COURSE you love chocolate: so does most of the world!

But, then I realize I'm not being fair. Chocolate doesn't rise to the level of being something that I can't resist. I never go out to buy it, except when it's near Halloween, and then it's (theoretically) for the kids who ring the doorbell to have. I do end up eating far too much of it, yes, but I still don't consider it to be my kryptonite. I won't get a bag of Milky Way minis or Cadbury Caramels (much as I love them) and devour the whole thing.

My weakness is something that I'm sure few people have: cereal. I haven't eaten cereal for breakfast in a very, very long time (probably not since high school). But, I do have it on occasion as a snack. I have a cup (not a full bowl) of cereal with milk, and I'm happy. But, wait...we have more than just one kind of cereal, so of course I'm going to have another little cup of cereal. What could that hurt? I generally don't stop until I've had a cup of each type of cereal we have (and, we typically have 5 or 6 different kinds of cereal at any given time). By the time I'm done, I've had the equivalent of probably 2 bowls of cereal. I think it fills the place for something sweet that most fill with chocolate binges.

How do I know I'm addicted? There are times when I've eaten a lot that day, and I feel full after that first little cup...but I still feel compelled to keep on having them until I've tried one of each. Weirdly, I'm not obsessive-compulsive about anything else. But, some weird thing in my brain instills a sense of "fairness" that says I must try one of each kind of cereal. I don't do this every day. But, when I decide to have one little cup, it's rare that I stop at one. I can stop anytime I want to, but I don't want to! Yeah, right.

My wife shares your cereal addiction - it's not unusual for her to have cereal two or three times a day. Her favorite is Lucky Charms, followed by Frosted Flakes, followed by Frosted Mini Wheats.

My weaknesses are pizza and potato chips/crisps. I can eat my weight in either (and I'm fat). I've eaten enough of either at different times as to result in me 🤮.

Her favorite is Lucky Charms, followed by Frosted Flakes, followed by Frosted Mini Wheats.
Those are also some of my favorites. I do try to get healthier things, like this:

cinnamon__87299.1571257793.jpg

But, the kids want fun things, like the ones you mentioned. And then, my wife wants the fun cereals, and I realize I'm doomed.

My weaknesses are pizza and potato chips/crisps. I can eat my weight in either (and I'm fat). I've eaten enough of either at different times as to result in me 🤮.
I can manage controlling myself with pizza, because there's such a variability with it (not all pizza is created equal). But, good pizza? That's trouble. I try to have one, and then wait a bit. I usually fill up from that one, so I'm less hungry.

And, I also like unusual crisps (like salt and vinegar, which I realize is popular overseas, but not so much here). Hey...maybe I can cure my cereal addiction by eating more chips! :laugh:

And, I also like unusual crisps (like salt and vinegar, which I realize is popular overseas, but not so much here).
Do you have a British grocer nearby? If so, you might like some of those crisps - tomato ketchup, pickled onion, Worcestershire sauce, and roast chicken are my favorites. We can get them locally, so I have to watch myself over those.

Not big on chocolate but I do LOVE smiths BBQ crisps. We get when in ozzy or when friends visit us. I have some arriving in the next week. They aren't available here.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom