What Hand-Me-Down Items Do You Use?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
1:20 AM
This might be fun. Do you have any items related to food/kitchen that you regularly use that were hand-me-downs, or inherited, or somehow ended up in your kitchen drawer?

A treasured ladle from an aunt who first taught you how to make spaghetti sauce? An old strainer that reminds you of helping your mom cook when you were a kid? Some old useless piece of tat you just can't part with?

Anything is fine, post it here, with a little story, if it helps. I'll start:

This bottle opener was my maternal granddad's. He always carried it on his key chain.

Note that it says "Drink Pepsi-Cola" on it, so obviously some bit of promotional stuff from Pepsi, and my dad retired from Pepsi, but he doesn't recall ever giving this to his father-in-law.

I got it years after my granddad passed away. He died in 1995, and I got this probably a decade later. My mom had a box of some random items of his, and when I saw it and asked about it, she said, "Oh, that's just some of Dad's things, help yourself if you want anything," and I remember the box containing a billfold, his glasses, and a pair of socks, of all things, along with this opener, and I was in the process of putting a little bar area in my house, so I took the opener.

I fashioned a little hook just under the top of the bar, and now it hangs from that, out of site, and I use it almost every day.
2FBCC8F0-47DB-49E4-9A55-6CAFAF6EC76A.jpeg

My mother in law's indonesian mortar. She passed it on to me as she considers me the right heir for it, she can't use it anymore. I am honored and shall be making a lot of bumbu's with it (spice mixes).

How lovely! I never heard the word bombu before... I hope you post some recipes. Do you have a photo of the mortar?

How lovely! I never heard the word bombu before... I hope you post some recipes. Do you have a photo of the mortar?

Bumbu is the Indonesian word for a spice mix, the mortar is called a cobek or ulekan. I've got Indonesian relatives so that's how I know.

2308214781_1e12808071.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Inherited this from my mom, who inherited it from her mom. (over 100 years old)
That's fantastic. My mom gave me a couple of her cast iron skillets, and I was really excited, until I got them home and realized how warped they were. :(

Bumbu is the Indonesian word for a spice mix, the mortar is called a cobek or ulekan. I've got Indonesian relatives so that's how I know
I really like that.

Back
Top Bottom