What I Hate About Frying / Deepfrying

Jade

Veteran
Local time
8:38 PM
What I really hate about frying or Deepfrying is that I smell like oil afterwards. So much so that I really get bothered with the feeling enough not to be able to function very well with any other tasks unless I take a bath immediately, which is why I usually schedule my Deepfrying sessions carefully and if I can I try to just throw everything in and move far away from the fryer only coming back to it once in a while for checking and stirring.

Do you guys have any solutions for this or does it just not bother other people as much as it does me?

When my mom fries/deepfries anything, we make sure that the exhaust fan is on. We put it near the stove which is beside a window so that the smell will not cling to our clothes and stay inside our home.

Frying always leaves some residue on the walls on the counter tops so I always do a scrub down at least once a week to stop any build up. That can contribute to the smells in the kitchen.
Keeping the kitchen ventilated is always advisable, but opening the doors and windows even on a cold day is the best, before you cook, during and after.

I would never advise leaving a fryer unattended for any length of time, but he smell can linger, so air the kitchen before you start. You could always clean the kitchen afterwards then it would smell of kitchen cleaner! I do that when people cook curry or something pungent in the kitchen.

I do not really deep fry anything these days; I just use the frying pan. When I am frying anything, like, for instance, fish, I would put it in the frying pan and move away from the stove for a little while and then check back when I think it is time to flip the fish over. I try not to stand too close to the stove because doing that tends to generate a lot of heat in the body too. So after I take out one piece of fish, I then add another piece, move away from the stove for a while, and then follow the same procedure throughout. I don't really burn anything this way, since I tend to time it correctly.

I do notice, however, that there is a lot of residue left on the stove and walls nearby after frying anything, and the smell does linger for a while. However, I cannot recall my clothes picking up the smell. It is a good idea to use an apron when carrying out these tasks too, although I need to get myself one of these, having not used one recently.

I have an extractor fan and this takes away a lot of the smell. Unfortunately, it isn't working at the moment, so when I fry things there is a bad smell of oil. I don't fry things too often though, so it is not too much of a problem. My grandma used to clean the kitchen with fresh lemon juice after frying food or cooking fish as she said that this got rid of the odour.

I hate the oil splattering and the messy cleanup afterwards!! Let it go for too long, and the stuff will start to get sticky & icky!!! :eek:

I don't think there is much you can do to avoid it. Deep frying gets oil vapor on everything in the kitchen, including the walls. I don't do it because fried food makes me feel sick as I can't digest that much oil very well, but I have cleaned many apartments where cooking with oil or deep frying was done often and it is really gross. I have had to magic erase entire sections of wall to get it off.

I think there are some better ways to cook that you might want to look into. Obviously you can't totally imitate the textures of deep frying without deep frying, but I have heard of methods where you bake rather than fry but still get something pretty similar. Try looking for "healthier version" recipes and you might find some good ideas.

I try not to deep fry too often.

Even though the oil that you might use is said to now be healthier for you, I feel that eating fried foods too often is just not good for you.
I always do it in moderation.

One of my grand nephews likes to eat fried food at times, but it makes him sick on his stomach!! So he has to cool it and don't eat too much of it!! :eek:

I don't really notice a bad oil smell because I usually open the kitchen door and air the kitchen out. But I hate the mess that deep frying creates, from the milk/egg dish ,to the breading dish, to the draining dish piled with paper towels and of course the oil splatter and dirty pan. I only deep fry once a week because I hate making a mess.

What I really hate about frying or Deepfrying is that I smell like oil afterwards. So much so that I really get bothered with the feeling enough not to be able to function very well with any other tasks unless I take a bath immediately, which is why I usually schedule my Deepfrying sessions carefully and if I can I try to just throw everything in and move far away from the fryer only coming back to it once in a while for checking and stirring.

Do you guys have any solutions for this or does it just not bother other people as much as it does me?

I wish I had the solution and I did search online to see what I could find as I know that "smell" from frying and from being in the kitchen. Whenever people from the restaurants in the mall come to my store, there is that terrible smell that they emit and I always have to spray the smell out when they leave. I know it's not their fault so I can't be mad.

About the frying; it's messy and like someone alluded to elsewhere, being hit by those balls of oil, just isn't pretty. I almost never deep fry anything.

I don't deep fry anything anymore. I must be a little weird because I like the smell. My mom fried everything when I was a kid and it just reminds me of the good parts of my childhood.

There's a pizza restaurant near my grocery store. They offer a luncheon buffet with lots of deep fried items. I get a big whiff of deep fried foods whenever I walk by. I love the smell, but I never go in. Potential high cholesterol and fat keeps me out.

This is why I almost never fry anything at home. I hate cleaning up afterwards, including wiping down all the walls and anything near the frying area to get rid of that smell and residue. Every once in a while I will get an urge to try and make home made egg rolls or crab rangoon at home, and then I will regret it shortly afterwards.

Instead I've had more fun experimenting with ways of creating fried food taste in the oven. I've had some pretty good success with toasting the breadcrumbs first to give them their nutty brown taste all over evenly, then carefully breading the food, and spraying generously with cooking spray. Then I place the food on a wire rack over a baking sheet so it doesn't get soggy on the bottom while cooking.

If I really want something like freshly fried tortilla chips, I can always swing by my local Chipotle where they cook them fresh. Another thing you can do is warm chips in the oven to give them that freshly cooked taste and smell.

Partially covering the pan or deep fryer while frying, helps to reduce splatter, which in turn, helps to reduce messy cleanup. :eek:

The fumes are no good for you. I don't deep fry much at all. I only eat plant base foods, so I might fry up come cauliflower or some homemade samosa. What I like about frying veggies is that it doesn't take as long as frying meat.

I mainly use the Presto Options Multi-Cooker for most deep frying, The larger Waring for larger pieces or quantities of food, or the Turk N' Surf for turkeys. :wink:

I don't use the stove for deep frying, mainly to keep grease splatter to a very minimum! :eek:

All of my electric deep fryers have a lid for them. :wink:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom