What is a condiment ? Which condiments do you have on your table?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
6:37 PM
Mod. Edit two overlapping threads have been merged.

A spin off from elsewhere on the forum - the question is, what can be classified as a condiment? And which condiments are traditionally used in your country?

Well its a tricky one - according to Wiki
The exact definition of a condiment varies. Some definitions encompass spices and herbs, including salt pepper,[4] using the term interchangeably with seasoning.[5] Others restrict the definition to include only "prepared food compound, containing one or more spices", which are added to food after the cooking process, such as mustard, ketchup or mint sauce.[5] Cheese is also considered a condiment in some European countries.[citation needed]
So it seems that anything used to add flavour can be called a condiment? Up until now I'd always used the word to signify items which go on the table and can be used to flavour food after it is served up - salt, pepper, mustard, ketchup etc. How do you use the term?

Last edited:
Condiment for me is something I add to a dish, no matter what it is, that I feel enhances the flavor. If it is also an ingredient in the dish, better yet.

Mod. Edit this and following post merged into one thread as there were two similar threads.

So, what condiments are traditionally kept on the table in your country. In the UK it is salt and pepper.

I'll ask husband what is traditional in Portugal.

Last edited by a moderator:
In UK it depends on what you are eating I'd say - salt, pepper, tomato sauce, oil and vinegar, mustard, mayonnaise which can all be found at tables in restaurants (often in unpleasant little sachets). At home people tend to get the relevant ones out according to what they are eating. I think very few people leave condiments permanently on the table - but perhaps I'm wrong?

Last edited:
The condiments avaiable here greatly depends on the nationality or type of the cuisine being served.

Just off the top of my head, and not in any order: salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard, mayo, butter, bbq sauce, vinegar (red wine, balsamic, rice, malt), hot sauces, sambal, chili oil, gochujang, soy sauce, wasabi, duck sauce, grated horseradish, Old Bay, seasoned salt, adobo, paprika, olive oil, herb oil, Herbs de Provence, hot pepper flakes, garlic powder, dried oregano, grated parmesan cheese, ...

In Italy is quite common salt and pepper, with a bottle of oil and one of vinegar.
Is your husband portuguese?

His mother was Portuguese. Apparently it's salt and pepper and, depending on what is being eaten, butter or olive oil. Though not condiments, it is also common to have bread and olives on the table.

The one thing I really like to have to hand to sprinkle on my food is chilli. Whether it counts as a condiment or not, I don't know. But that is how I use it - liberally scattered over anything and everything!

What kind of chili? Dried, crushed red pepper flakes are a standard condiment in pizza places here, and many Asian restaurants also have it and other ground hot chilis upon request. Korean joints also offer a gochu powder.

I love the taste and texture of crushed, dried hot chilis on Chinese Chow Fun or Mei Fun noodles.

What kind of chili? Dried, crushed red pepper flakes are a standard condiment in pizza places here, and many Asian restaurants also have it and other ground hot chilis upon request. Korean joints also offer a gochu powder.

I love the taste and texture of crushed, dried hot chilis on Chinese Chow Fun or Mei Fun noodles.

Dried quite often because its always there (various types) but today, for example, it was chopped raw Scotch Bonnet (de-seeded) on a poached egg. I'm a complete chilli head. I have it on fried eggs, boiled eggs, beans, baked potato - is there anything I wouldn't have on?

I've started pequins for red chili flakes. A couple pulses in the spice grinder and they're good to go. I can't list the number of hot sauces I have on hand, nut the hottest by far is "Dave's Insanity" which is basically pure capsaicin extract. One drop to 4 quarts of chili and you've got some spicy stuff, any more than that and you probably won't be able to eat it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom