What is a food you've fried that's usually not eaten this way?

True2marie

Veteran
Local time
2:16 PM
Frying food is the American way. With this said, there's more food being thrown in hot grease than ever before. If you enjoy going to festivals, you know this is true. One of the weirdest foods I have fried is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. What surprised me was how much better it tasted afterward.

1362188841-0.jpg

Wow. That is just overkill, but I'm sure it tastes amazing. I like toasting my PB & Js so they have that extra crunch and my sister likes to add butter to her bread and she makes it like a grilled cheese. I heard that was pretty tasty.

At a local fair, I once tried a fried twinkie. It wasn't bad! However, I would probably never have another one. I think twinkies are good without the loaded grease and extra fat! Not to mention the calories! Ekk! But I am really glad I tried it.
My husband tried a fried Snickers once when we were visiting a small festival in Omaha, Nebraska. He loved it! It's not something you would want all the time, but it is kind of neat to experience something different fried every once in a great while.

Attachments

• IMG_5505.JPG
    IMG_5505.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 202
At a local fair, I once tried a fried twinkie. It wasn't bad! However, I would probably never have another one. I think twinkies are good without the loaded grease and extra fat! Not to mention the calories! Ekk! But I am really glad I tried it.
My husband tried a fried Snickers once when we were visiting a small festival in Omaha, Nebraska. He loved it! It's not something you would want all the time, but it is kind of neat to experience something different fried every once in a great while.

There's a place at the Fremont Experience in downtown Las Vegas. They sell deep fried Twinkies, Snickers, Bananas and other foods not typically fried. The place is popular, but I never tried anything during the time I was living there. I have basically given up fried foods, but I don't think I'm that adventurous with my food.

My mother used to eat fried grasshoppers when she was a kid. She liked them at the time. Now, she a strict vegan.

Frying food is the American way. With this said, there's more food being thrown in hot grease than ever before. If you enjoy going to festivals, you know this is true. One of the weirdest foods I have fried is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. What surprised me was how much better it tasted afterward.

1362188841-0.jpg

This looks delicious! Although it looks like a grilled sandwich. But you're right -- America is extremely known for frying foods. I think the only thing that I've fried out of the ordinary (that comes to mind) are soft tacos. I love crispier tacos opposed to the bland soft tacos. So I take a pan and pour a little vegetable oil in, wait until it gets popping and throw in a soft taco. This is not a job that you walk away from! Watch it bubble a little and flip it. Watch it bubble again and then take it out and lay on a paper towel. Fill your tacos as usual! Very crispy:)

Oh my gandhi, that looks amazing. Or maybe it's just because I've been craving a PB&J for awhile now, but don't have any bread.

I haven't really deep fried anything weird. Typical things like fries, cheese curds, onion rings etc.

While I wouldn't say these are particularly "weird" but rather I don't see them as often and wished they were available at more restaurants:

- Fried artichokes. I worked at a restaurant that sold these. They would bread them in a batter and flour that was spiked with cajun seasonings and they would be served with either a marinara sauce or a mixture of mayo and horseradish - I loved these things. I'm not even a vegetarian and I would eat these over chicken nuggets any day of the week. At least you know it's not some pink slime processed chicken crap.

- Fried salami. I love to fry a bunch of salami until it gets all crispy and browned then pile it onto a crusty roll with some shredded lettuce, tomato, and oil & vinegar. I also love it in scrambled eggs with some smoked provolone melted over it.

I, generally, don't fry things at home. I bake things that normally are fried, like french fries, chicken nuggets, egg rolls, etc.I will not eat fried seafood whatsoever; I prefer my seafood to be un-breaded and baked.

As for fairs, we have the Calgary Stampede every year. Normally, they introduce some new food item, each year, that's fried. There has been fried Oreo's and, believe it or not, fried butter. I've never tried any of the fried items because they just don't appeal to me but it's a big thing. Can you imagine eating fried butter?

Back
Top Bottom