What is a round bladed knife

Tonychantelle

Local time
12:10 AM
As the title says. I need this for making puff pastry. Not sure what it is.
Thanks in advance.

It's a long shot, but I don't suppose they mean a circular-bladed cutter, like a pizza cutter/wheeled dough cutter? I only say that because there are round dough cutters, and the cutter part of a pizza cutter is referred to as the blade.

Edited:
I initially thought it should be just a rounded blade, but after doing some reading, it seems that a sharp edge is the best for puff pastry, so I am guessing that TR is correct. I think probably any sharp edged knife would do it (just not serrated). Maybe a round cutter with a sharp edge works best because it's easier to cut in a straight line?

Last edited:
As the title says. I need this for making puff pastry. Not sure what it is.
Thanks in advance.

I think we need more info. What is this knife used for in the making of the pastry? For cutting it into shape? I've made a lot of puff pastry from scratch and never heard of this knife. Are you following a recipe? If so, a link would be good or maybe a just a bit more elaboration of what the recipe says.

I saw a lot of references to bench knives (scrapers) when searching for "best knife for puff pastry".

Well that's interesting. Most of the recipes that had videos (I was trying to watch to see what kind of tools they were using) showed using a stand mixer, not a knife to mix.

I wonder why it only got 3 stars out of 5 in the reviews? I could not read the reviews without signing up.

This is a recipe for rough puff pastry. The round bladed knife is simply a butter knife or non-sharp knife which is used to mix the butter chunks into the flour. Its not really important to use a 'round' knife. You can use a spoon or your hands.

I had one for years and threw it away eventually. I either just use my hands, pinching the butter into the flour, or pulse it in a food processor for a few times.

No - if you can watch the video you will see this is not what is used. Its rough puff - you don't cut up the butter. It stays in chunks and gets amalgamated when the pastry is rolled out.

The round knife is a red herring! Its probably something that was added to the instructions by an over-zealous copywriter.

We can't view the video. The content is not available in the US (I tried).

Sorry about this. I have same problem the other side of the pond with some links. Here is a shot from the video of the butter and the round bladed knife:

The butter is tossed in the flour using the knife (you could use hands!). You flick the butter around to coat in the flour using the knife, then add water and mix. Then its rolled out, folded over etc. rested and repeat resulting in a laminated dough. Its a standard rough puff pastry recipe.

Last edited:
Oh, not your fault that the BBC thinks Yanks shouldn't be allowed to view the videos, LOL!

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom