What is American cuisine?

Shaun

Guru
Local time
12:29 PM
For context, I live in the UK. A friend of ours wants us to try a new American themed restaurant for her birthday later in the year and I wondered what would be on offer?

Burgers, fries, steaks and tacos (all giant sized and overflowing the plates) and huge varieties of sugary and fatty desserts?

Or is that just what I'm lead to believe by the media? What is American cuisine? What are the non-fast food staples of a US diet? Why did those things immediately spring to mind when she mentioned "American" and "Diner"?

I think American cuisine and what it involves is different in different states. Its so varied that just about every state has its own specialty, but I don't think they have cuisine as such, more like state dishes.

like you, I thought/think it involves a lot of burgers, tacos, gumbo, grits, but again that may be what TV and films portrays. There may be a whole lot more to it. Or maybe not .:happy:

Perhaps some of our american members can let us know.

Great question! I used to think all of those things were the be all and end all of American cuisine but then I married an American!

His mothers side of the family is from the Southern USA and a lot of the food is summarised well here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_the_Southern_United_States

Biscuits and gravy is one thing they love, which to me seem like scones. Barbecued meats are huge - brisket and ribs and things like that. The barbecue sauces can be sweet or more vinegary depending on location.

Oh and also there's all the more Cajun style foods too, like you would find in Louisiana - gumbo and things like that!

For context, I live in the UK. A friend of ours wants us to try a new American themed restaurant for her birthday later in the year and I wondered what would be on offer?

Burgers, fries, steaks and tacos (all giant sized and overflowing the plates) and huge varieties of sugary and fatty desserts?

Or is that just what I'm lead to believe by the media? What is American cuisine? What are the non-fast food staples of a US diet? Why did those things immediately spring to mind when she mentioned "American" and "Diner"?

Usually, it is anything that us Americans like to eat that is considered to be American cuisine.
Such as apple pie, spaghetti and meatballs, even though Italian people may have perfected it, fried chicken, Southern cooking and that great old Philly Cheesesteak sub, along with a cheeseburger & fries.
Those are the things that we loved so much!! :wink:

I must admit, I love American food. I could die a happy person with all the BBQ meat, spaghetti, pancakes and maple syrup and much much more. That is my idea of heaven

I must admit, I love American food. I could die a happy person with all the BBQ meat, spaghetti, pancakes and maple syrup and much much more. That is my idea of heaven
That does not sound such a tasty meal to me, nor very healthy!!

BTW, maple syrup is generally considered to be canadian, not 'murcan, although they do make good stuff in the north east e.g. VT, NH etc.

Good question Shaun, much like asking 'what is english cuisine'?

And I think you would get a similar answer. It is regionally based, some dishes become popular and spread nationally. Immigrants bring their dishes and these become incorporated. Chefs learn their trade, go abroad, pick up ideas and include them into other dishes. The point being it is constantly evolving.
The american themed restaurant you might visit will no doubt be an anglicised version of our preconceptions i.e. burgers, fried chicken, apple pie etc. And yet., if you were dropped blindfold into say, The French Laundry, (one of the US's top, top restaurants and has been for many years) you would probably not guess it was 'american cuisine'.

That does not sound such a tasty meal to me, nor very healthy!!

BTW, maple syrup is generally considered to be canadian, not 'murcan, although they do make good stuff in the north east e.g. VT, NH etc.

Yes I know maple syrup is Canadian. And your right not a healthy diet, thats why it would be my idea of heaven, but not the way I eat in reality. :thumbsup:

I've also heard of grits (although I still don't fully understand what grits are/is) and jambalaya - is that like a southern caserole?

I wonder, too, if there are any dishes of native american origin that are still popular?

and jambalaya - is that like a southern caserole?
It is a rice based dish with the 'holy trinity' of celery, onions and peppers included. Then depending on if it's Creole or Cajun influenced will depend on whether it is predominantly fish or meat. At least that is my understanding, no doubt our cousins across the pond will put us right!
Very, very tasty when cooked right.

That's good - this is an American thread, not Canadian!!!!

What a lovely strange place your heaven must be!!!

Its always nice to be pleasant to everyone on forums, and not to take things too seriously. I think if we all thought the same as each other and we all liked the same things cuisine in any form would be rather boring. Its nice that we can all be respectful towards each other, and share different tastes regarding all food.

Its always nice to be pleasant to everyone on forums, and not to take things too seriously. I think if we all thought the same as each other and we all liked the same things cuisine in any form would be rather boring. Its nice that we can all be respectful towards each other, and share different tastes regarding all food.
Quite agree. Apologies if my comments came across as anything but, they certainly were not meant that way.

Back
Top Bottom