What is it about truffles?

Rosyrain

Veteran
Local time
10:11 AM
I am personally not a fan of mushrooms of any kind, but I hear people rave about truffles all of the time. What is it about these mushrooms that people love so much...and why are they so expensive?

Truffles, be it mushrooms with delicacies or of the chocolate persuasion (different type of Truffle!) I can dig them in nearly every way. From added to salads to added to burgers and pizzas and meat dishes, properly steamed and cooked mushrooms add a beautiful consistency. And they're rare. And expensive.

I've never had them either Rosryrain. I think I'm pretty adventurous with my produce too, but something about truffles has always freaked me out. They look like old, dark little shriveled up balls. I've never bought them because they are so expensive and I'm not sure they look very good. But maybe I should give them a try!

On a side note I also remember being told that farmers put rings in pigs noses so the pigs could use them to help dig for truffles. I don't know it that's really true or not, it just came to mind!

I've never had them either Rosryrain. I think I'm pretty adventurous with my produce too, but something about truffles has always freaked me out. They look like old, dark little shriveled up balls. I've never bought them because they are so expensive and I'm not sure they look very good. But maybe I should give them a try!

On a side note I also remember being told that farmers put rings in pigs noses so the pigs could use them to help dig for truffles. I don't know it that's really true or not, it just came to mind!

I think it's more that they put rings in pigs' noses to stop them digging (as the ring makes it painful to dig, I think the practice is banned here now, or at least frowned upon). If a pig sniffs out a truffle, it will dig it up and eat it before any human can get to it. Nowadays, I think they use dogs which can sniff out the truffles (although not as well as pigs), but don't like to eat them.

I think it's more that they put rings in pigs' noses to stop them digging (as the ring makes it painful to dig, I think the practice is banned here now, or at least frowned upon). If a pig sniffs out a truffle, it will dig it up and eat it before any human can get to it. Nowadays, I think they use dogs which can sniff out the truffles (although not as well as pigs), but don't like to eat them.

Aha, maybe that was it. I knew it had something to do with sniffing out the truffles. Again, even that info turns me off, that they are under the ground like that and animals are used to find them. I guess when you think about it though, all mushrooms are a strange little food product.

Do they commercially farm truffles? If so, why would they still be so expensive, if they can be commercially raised? Do you think farmers would just take advantage of the "rarity" argument to keep the price high? Or are they really mainly found in nature? Just some thoughts...

To my knowledge truffles have to be found in the wild and finding them is an art in itself. I'm sure if you look on you tube there would be truffle hunt videos posted. Truffles are an acquired taste, if you don't like mushrooms or earthy cheeses you may not like them either. You only use a small amount of truffle in food preparation because they are so pungent, and they are used as a flavoring like using seasoning to accent a dish.

I would like to try a truffle dish, but it is unlikely that I will every be able to afford to do so. I believe they can only be found in the wild by truffle hounds and they are uncommon, which is why truffles are so expensive.

I'm a big fan of mushrooms, and freshly picked from the wild they are more tasty than any of the varieties that have been farmed.

I have tried a truffle casserole (string beans, cream of mushroom soup) with these mushrooms inside it. It gives a VERY pungent taste, so I will remember next time to remove a fair bit of them. But my good lord, did I ever scarf them right down. Tastiest mushrooms I've had.

(Also, I didn't buy/make the Casserole, it was a friends)

They bribe the pig with chocolate to leave the truffle , my last dogs sire was trained to sniff out truffles, and it is a practice in my area to use spaniels, and I often see the truffles at , these dogs owners houses In the egg basket , apparently its a way of storing the fungis

So I've never had truffle, therefore I can't contribute anything there, but I HAVE had the displeasure of eating truffle oil once. It was in this fancy restaurant and it was HORRIBLE. Before, I was convinced that the infamous truffle oil couldn't be as bad as people say, but it really is. I highly recommend staying away from the stuff

I know they grow in the wild around here and I have half a mind to go out and hunt for some so I can make a lot of money. I would have to idea where to go, or what to look for and with my luck, I would find something poisonus! As said before, I can't stand mushrooms, and I imagine these kind would be no different for me. I was just curious what makes them so popular.

Back
Top Bottom