what is oatmeal

Local time
9:55 PM
I was listening to a conversation on another forum and parkin cake was mentioned. Now I quite fancy making one.

The recipe I found on the BBC website says oatmeal is needed. Is oatmeal porridge oats? Does anyone know? Your help would be much appreciated.

My mother used to make traditional English parkin. It contained oats but not the type you use to make porridge (rolled oats). British supermarkets sell packets of pinhead oatmeal in the home baking section. These oats have been ground into small pieces and the oatmeal is much finer than porridge oats, so it's and more suitable for baking.

My mother used to make traditional English parkin. It contained oats but not the type you use to make porridge (rolled oats). British supermarkets sell packets of pinhead oatmeal in the home baking section. These oats have been ground into small pieces and the oatmeal is much finer than porridge oats, so it's and more suitable for baking.

Thanks. I'll look in the supermarket next time I'm there. To be honest parkin cake sounds a lot like ginger cake without the treacle.

I found this for you.... oatmeal is easily available in supermarkets... I usually find it in the porridge section with the breakfast stuff though...

• Steel cut (pinhead) oats These are whole oats that have simply been cut into two or three pieces by steel cutters to produce rough, coarse oatmeal. Uses: use for oatcakes and the traditional way of making porridge.
  • Jumbo rolled oats/flakes These are whole oats that have been softened with steam and then flattened between rollers to produce flakes. Uses: use raw in muesli, or to make thick porridge.
  • Rolled oats These are steel cut (also known as pinhead) oats (oats that are cut into two or three pieces) that have been softened with steam and then rolled to produce flakes. They are smaller than jumbo flakes therefore, so cook quicker and make a finer, smoother porridge. Uses: tend to be used for the single-serve sachet products found in supermarkets. Use a mix of jumbo and rolled oats to make biscuits, oatcakes, cereal bars or flapjacks.
  • Oatmeal This is made by using grooved rolls to break up the oats to produce different grades of oatmeal, from coarse oatmeal (steel cut/pinhead oats), to medium or fine oatmeal. Until rolled oats were introduced, porridge was traditionally made with oatmeal. It takes longer to cook and usually has a much thicker texture compared to rolled oats. Uses: use for biscuits, oatcakes, scones and crumble toppings.
  • Oat flour Finer than oatmeal, this is made by grinding and sieving oats. As with oatmeal, the flour can be coarse, medium or fine. Uses: use for making bread or cakes.

I found this for you.... oatmeal is easily available in supermarkets... I usually find it in the porridge section with the breakfast stuff though...

• Steel cut (pinhead) oats These are whole oats that have simply been cut into two or three pieces by steel cutters to produce rough, coarse oatmeal. Uses: use for oatcakes and the traditional way of making porridge.
  • Jumbo rolled oats/flakes These are whole oats that have been softened with steam and then flattened between rollers to produce flakes. Uses: use raw in muesli, or to make thick porridge.
  • Rolled oats These are steel cut (also known as pinhead) oats (oats that are cut into two or three pieces) that have been softened with steam and then rolled to produce flakes. They are smaller than jumbo flakes therefore, so cook quicker and make a finer, smoother porridge. Uses: tend to be used for the single-serve sachet products found in supermarkets. Use a mix of jumbo and rolled oats to make biscuits, oatcakes, cereal bars or flapjacks.
  • Oatmeal This is made by using grooved rolls to break up the oats to produce different grades of oatmeal, from coarse oatmeal (steel cut/pinhead oats), to medium or fine oatmeal. Until rolled oats were introduced, porridge was traditionally made with oatmeal. It takes longer to cook and usually has a much thicker texture compared to rolled oats. Uses: use for biscuits, oatcakes, scones and crumble toppings.
  • Oat flour Finer than oatmeal, this is made by grinding and sieving oats. As with oatmeal, the flour can be coarse, medium or fine. Uses: use for making bread or cakes.

Thanks snsso. I have now, I think found where I can buy it. Its called mornflake oatmeal and I think I can get it I Morrisons. Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom