What is the difference between dinner & supper?

Same as the difference between dinner and lunch!
Simply where you were brought up :laugh:

Seriously though, I have always considered supper to be much later in the evening than dinner (but then dinner is what you have at dinner time in the middle of the day in this household) and was a top-up so to speak.

As kids, we were always told that supper is just a ordinary evening meal, whereas dinner is a feast, involving more food to eat, such as on certain holidays. :wink:

But I don't cook like that anyway any more, since it is only me!!! Too much food to prep, cook and put in the fridge! :eek:

I have always considered dinner as a late evening meal, consisting of starch, protein, and vegetables, similar to what we would eat here in the middle of the day, but what we call lunch. However, what we call supper here is usually a late evening meal, but something much lighter than dinner, consisting of just a few sandwiches and some kind of hot beverage. If it is not sandwiches, then it could be something like pizza, hamburgers or hotdogs.

I'm from Canada and I always heard that dinner is lunch at midday and supper is the evening meal. It always confused me too because I think some people use it differently. It could be a regional thing.

As kids, we were always told that supper is just a ordinary evening meal, whereas dinner is a feast, involving more food to eat, such as on certain holidays. :wink:

But I don't cook like that anyway any more, since it is only me!!! Too much food to prep, cook and put in the fridge! :eek:
I never thought there was a difference, but I'm buying your definition. In fact, I intend to use dinner for formal dining and super to describe the last meal of the day from now on.

I'm from Canada and I always heard that dinner is lunch at midday and supper is the evening meal. It always confused me too because I think some people use it differently. It could be a regional thing.
It is very regional in the UK, accounting for one of the main divides socially.
When I moved to the south of England, I apparently set myself aside immediately from my other colleagues by doing 2 things. The other northern said he knew immediately that we would be good friends (we were). The first was that i made myself a chip but (UK chips, in a bread roll with butter on it and in my case mayonnaise, though normally it is brown sauce). The second was that i referred to the meal at midday as dinner!

I always though Dinner and Supper had the same meaning but with reading the comments here, I think the definition
supper is just a ordinary evening meal, whereas dinner is a feast, involving more food to eat, such as on certain holidays
makes sense since although I grew with the evening meal being known as supper, holiday meals and Sundays, when everyone ate at Nanny's and Grandpas, were always referred to as "dinner"

Back
Top Bottom