What is the most un-appetizing food presentation you have ever come across?

flyinglentris

Disabled and Retired Veteran
Local time
3:56 AM
It might be the ugliest, the smelliest, the most offensive or the most something else.

What food presentation have you come across that has really turned your stomach, just being there to see it?

Did you have to sit down to table for it?

Out side of some food presented in a movie, like monkey brains in "Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom", I think head cheese is one of the only food items I ever found disgusting that actual showed up in the refrigerator when I was a kid.

Cue Yorky with his rats on skewers photo... :D

I'm not sure anything has 'turned my stomach'. But I do like food to be presented with a bit of care.

Edit - I now remember something. I was living in Cairo (many moons ago) and ordered pigeon with freekeh in a restaurant. It came in a deep sided individual serving pot. It tasted good - until I dug deeper and uncovered a whole pigeon head complete with beak and beady eyes.

Last edited:
I just recalled some things that I find disgusting, - tripe and the feet of animals, like pig's feet and chicken feet. Tripe is often in the meat section at the grocery stores and it always stirs up the thought - "Who in their right mind would eat that stuff?"

Oddly enough, I would not find bear paws objectionable.

I think gross factor for me was probably the smell of Stinky Tofu, I just couldn't do it, but that's not strange for someone who doesn't enjoy stinky cheese either.
I believe wife and I had cow brains at a restaurant in Japan but, beyond the thought of what we were about to consume, it didn't taste bad.

Headcheese doesn't bother me in the least. It's for sale everywhere here.

It's probably some kind of slimy seafood, like a slick, glistening octopus or something like that, for me.

...and we also have chicken feet and pig trotters and the lower portion of calves' legs (including the hooves) for sale.

Now, I love the things, but you can't deny that rambutans don't exactly scream "I am tasty food!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be worse, have you every tried harvesting/eating a Prickly Pear? Cactus fruit is no joke!

I had it growing in my backyard at my last house. Not hard to harvest, once you know how. But, not all that tasty, either. I had a neighbor who was a professional soccer (football) player, who had travelled a lot. He used them. He made some prickly pear margaritas for us, once. They were okay, but I never need to have them again.

CD

I only made it half way through a Singapore market before I started dry retching. I ran out of there. It was revolting.

Russ

Myself and a colleague made it two thirds up the street containing all the Damascus offal shops (cows) before he started retching. He didn't want to carry on but going back was twice as far as going on.

[Note: we'd been on the pish the previous evening which didn't help].

Back
Top Bottom