What is the real secret to crispy chicken skin?

I cook it in a really hot oil, usually canola and fry them in a fryer. It's what they do in fast food chains and I find that it also works for me. I use a fryer because I have a big family that enjoys a lot of fried foods. Don't forget to air the chicken out too for that added crispiness.

My tip, for oven cooked chichen, is to pierce the skin with a stick: from those little holes the underskin fat will come out and the skin will became perfectly crispy

here my beer marinated oven cooked chicken

Attachments

• 10665803_10204917469966952_2560308917850175718_n.jpg
    10665803_10204917469966952_2560308917850175718_n.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 195
I love having my chicken crispy too! Would love to know how to do it as I tried pating it with paper towel beforehand with little success. I think I will try to pull the chicken out part way through cooking, coat the skin with an oil and put it back in for an hour as @SatNavSaysStraightOn

You may wish to check out the web site Serious Eats, and perhaps the ChowHound forums, as they've written articles about this several times with several different techniques. One of them was about how to make "oven fried" buffalo wings with crispy skins just as if they had been deep fried. If I recall correctly, they used either baking powder or baking soda (I think it was baking powder) and lightly dusted the chicken with it before baking it in the oven. There was some sort of chemical reaction that occurs when doing so which would cause the chicken skin to brown up and crisp up nicely. Some reviewers said it worked great while others said it imparted an unpleasant taste.

Another technique as some have noted is to let the chicken air dry in your fridge for a few days, uncovered. I've also seen that method suggested for roasting whole chickens or turkeys. I haven't tried it yet personally though since I can never seem to clear out that much space in my fridge for a few days. I'm also a little uncomfortable about the chicken somehow cross contaminating other stuff in there by leaving it uncovered - could condensation inside the fridge somehow transmit some of the raw juices from the chicken elsewhere?

Incidentally, I might have also found yet another approach - use a bladed meat tenderizer. Oxo makes one, but I think another popular model is made by Jaquard. These aren't the meat mallet/hammer type tenderizers, these are devices with a bunch of sharp blades which perforate the meat to tenderize it. Yesterday, I de-boned some chicken thighs, but left the skin on and seasoned them, and hit them up real good with the meat tenderizer on both sides piercing through the skin as well in the process, then baked them on a wire rack in the oven at 400 degrees Celsius, and the skin came out surprisingly crispy. I should note I also seasoned under the skin as well as on top. I'm wondering if perhaps the perforations in the skin and the meat allow the juices to flow more freely instead of trapping a lot of moisture under the skin, hence it maybe kind of basted itself and became crispy. Just speculation, but somehow it did crisp up nicely.

Back
Top Bottom