What is Umami and what does it taste like?

Discussion in 'Herbs, Spices, Dressings, Sauces and Dips' started by TodayInTheKitchen, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. TodayInTheKitchen

TodayInTheKitchen Well-Known Member

In conjunction the Miso Ingredient challenge, I thought it would be appropriate to ask about Umami - the fifth taste. Here is an excerpt from an article.

"Westerners are familiar with the four basic taste groups: sweet, sour, salty, and bitter. For some, the concept of umami, or the "fifth taste," may be new." ( read article here )

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2019
  2. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

It is that secret ingredient that makes all the difference in a sauce. I use it by the jar, but other sources such as Marmite or even soy sauce have the same effect.

TodayInTheKitchen likes this.
  3. TodayInTheKitchen

So what you are telling me is that I have been missing out on this great taste for years and years.:eek:
    Someone needs to hit me with a large wooden object. :banghead:

epicuric and morning glory like this.
  4. rascal

rascal Über Member

I too see it written about here a lot. All I know is if I like it, I like it. I have Vegemite all the time. So that's umami??

Russ

5. epicuric

epicuric Über Member Staff Member

Yes! Next time you make a rich sauce or gravy try adding a teaspoon of Vegemite.

6. rascal

rascal Über Member

I do that, we love Vegemite.

Russ

7. CraigC

CraigC Über Member

It is an ingredient you might not be able to put a finger on that takes a dish over the top.

8. medtran49

medtran49 Über Member

You've used Worcestershire before haven't you? If so, you've had the umami experience. Mushrooms too, especially porcini, whether fresh or dried or powdered. Try adding some porcini powder (dried ones ground in a spice grinder) to a mushroom dish or a stew or similar.

Need to fix the title spelling BTW.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  9. SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn (Site Owner) Staff Member Recipe Challenge Judge

Mod Note: Done.

10. I've always thought that umami = savoriness. That is, a not-sweet sensation that something is REALLY tasty. I have accepted that some things (like those mentioned) add umami to a dish, but I'm not sure why.

11. morning glory

morning glory Obsessive cook Staff Member

I agree - umami is a savoury taste. I don't think there is such a thing as a sweet umami taste. Its often found in fermented foods such as Marmite, Vegemite, Miso, Soy Sauce, Fish Sauce, Anchovies.

12. TodayInTheKitchen

Thank you all. Your replies have been enlightening. I bought something at the market that has "miso" on the cover. Been so busy, I haven't even had a chance to open it. Maybe tonight. Work has me so stressed I can't even cook. :hyper:

13. One place has decided to boldly put Umami in the name. They have one in Las Vegas, though I've never been, and also locations in other major cities. It's supposed to be just as good as the name implies.

umami-burger-location-broadway-new-2.jpg

Per the restaurant's own description:

The restaurant's burgers are made using 6-ounce (170 g) beef patties, mostly from American Wagyu beef, that are coarsely ground in-house. The meat is seasoned with Umami Sauce—which contains soy sauce—and Umami Dust that includes ground-up dried porcini mushrooms and dried fish heads.

rascal likes this.
  14. rascal

rascal Über Member

Sounds about right,lol.

Russ

15. Herbie

Herbie Senior Member

I saw Unami paste in Morrisons (superkmarket) today and saw a jar of Unami Paste. I've looked it up and the ingredients are:
    Savoury tomato paste with anchovy, garlic and parmesan cheese.

Sainsburys )Another supermarket) has it too:
    Tomato paste with anchovy, parmesan & garlic

I've not seen this before. It's just a few ingredients so east to make - I can just make my own with vegan parmesan-style cheese.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019