What is Your Dinner Plate Like?

cherokee

Veteran
Local time
11:17 AM
It seems that most people these days are trying to eat healthier.The recommendation now is to try filling half your plate with vegetables to replace the unhealthier items. I know that I have trouble doing this. Not that I haven't tried but it seems to be harder than I thought it would be. I have a habit of having few veggies and way too much of the other stuff.

Do you follow the recommendation to eat mostly vegetables with smaller portions of the other dinner items that may not be as healthy for you? Please share what your strategy is and how you accomplish resisting the temptation to skimp on the veggies.

I don't know why, but I just really love vegetables. I hated them growing up, but when I got out on my own I think I learned how to cook things in my own style, and there are so many ways to make vegetables extremely tasty. If you are trying to develop a taste for them, you really have to put some additions on them to make them more taste like actual food, not veggies.

For example, green beans you can toss with a sundried tomato and olive oil pesto, then crumbled feta. Cauliflower mashed and pureed with sour cream, butter and salt and pepper tastes quite like mashed potatoes. Spaghetti squash with olive oil and parmesan is very tasty. Also spaghetti squash mixed with egg, scallions, coconut flour and pan fried tastes similar to potato latkes.

When you really pump up the flavors and try and make more of a meal out of the veggies, you can get some good tastes going. Even my heavy carb pizza eating husband will now ask for a meal with veggies if we have gone a few days with only heavy carbs.

I have not yet succeeded in following the recommendations of eating mostly vegetables and smaller portions of the other stuff. I must admit though, that I still eat a fairly good serving of vegetables. My dinner plate is mostly of starch content, and then there is the protein, either meat or fish, and the vegetables are just a side dish, although I would consider the serving adequate, since I eat them on a daily basis. Maybe I could try first of all to have each portion of the dinner plate, that is, the starch, the protein and the vegetables, all about the same serving size, then I could gradually cut down on the starch and protein, and increase the vegetable servings. It will take getting used to, but it is worth the try.

Our dinner plates are round, a sort of beigey cream colour, and bigger than our side plates. :wink:

It depends on the meal, but I reckon a plated meal will be about thirds by area -a third meat (or pie or fish), a third potato or rice etc and a third veg. But most of our meals are something like pasta and sauce, or curry, where everything is mixed up together!

Small. And healthier.

I don't eat large plates of food any more because I am on a mission to lose some weight.

Down to 275lbs from 305lbs. I eat small amounts of stuff in between so that I don't get the hungry horrors, my glucose level getting too low and ending up going into a hypoglycemic attack. :wink:

I use a smaller plate to eat my meals on. I have always preferred vegetables to meat, I like to eat fruit and vegetables as often as I can. I drink a detox tea that has been working very well to keep the weight down and to rid my body of the desire to eat way to much food.

When I worked at the restaurant I would serve people that would eat two plates of the heaviest meal in the place, I just could not understant that. I had a family come in one time that included a young boy, his mom allowed him to eat two huge burgers with fries. All she could say was he's a growing boy, no, he was a heart attack waiting to happen.

I follow the thirds rule too for the most part when it comes to filling my plate at dinner time. 1/3 is devoted to the main course, and the other 2/3 are reserved for the vegetable portions and other side dishes. I have to agree with @Dina in that since I have moved out on my own, eating veggies is no longer such a chore. I have developed my own tasty ways to prepare them and they actaully taste good to me now.

with any diet or watching what you eat it is being aware of the calorific value of food and what you are using,try to eat fresh fruit and veg every day and slow release carbohydrates ,but i can burn up to 3000 calories riding most days ,my main problem is eating my last meal late at night due to my working hours not the amount i eat

Our dinner plates are round, a sort of beigey cream colour, and bigger than our side plates. :wink:

It depends on the meal, but I reckon a plated meal will be about thirds by area -a third meat (or pie or fish), a third potato or rice etc and a third veg. But most of our meals are something like pasta and sauce, or curry, where everything is mixed up together!
Ours are a nice yellowy colour with a pale blue edge:happy:.
We eat full meals but avoid the dreaded snacking. It seems to be this that piles on the calories [and the pounds] a few biscuits here and a bun there REALLY adds up and always seems to be 'forgotten' when people say 'Oh I hardly eat a thing'.

Ohhhh, my dinner plate is wildly unhealthy. I eat rice, lots of meat, lots of fat, not much veggies. I might try to change and eat healthier later on but I'm perfectly happy with my current diet for now

My dinner plate always has protein, carbs and veggies. That is the standard. Of course, sometimes I'll have a burger, or pasta, or something else. But in general I do have a balanced meal.

Rachael Ray Orange Serving Platter.jpg

I have four of THESE!
They are serving platters, but I use them for dinner plates. :wink:

I have half a plate of various veggies & half a plate of protein. I rarely eat starch. Not because I'm on some strict dietary limits but because it's not something I prefer. However, giveme a beautifully fresh loaf of bread & I may just reconsider that.

Back
Top Bottom