What is your oldest kitchen gadget, appliance or other kitchen item?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
1:10 PM
This is a spin off from another thread where @Master Cutler posted a photo of his Moulinex Multichef (see here). What is the oldest appliance or gadget in your kitchen? Here is @Master Cutler's Multichef:

IMG_0352.JPG

Appliances or gadgets, I really do not have old gadgets or appliances ..

However, I do have clay or terracotta earthenware (cazuelas) dating back to both my Grandmothers, who are both 83, and which I use to prepare my Paellas, Fideuàs and Boullaibaisse ..

I also have antique French stemware, Murano stemware and an Espresso stove top coffee maker from my Grandmothers .. And some antique silverware from my grandmothers for special celebrations ..

Apart from my Moulinex Jeannette, I've got a Moulinex Rotisserie/table-top oven and a Phillips food mixer with stand, all from the 1970s. I also have a hand-held Kenwood mixer, which must date from about the same time. The Jeannette and the rotisserie are still used occasionally, but the Kenwood mixer is used more often - it comes in very handy for making sponge cakes! The Phillips mixer was my Mum's. It did work, but it's one top of one of my cupboards and I can't get it down :laugh: I have got a yoghurt maker which dates from the 1960s. One of the jars got broken and the plastic lids all split. Although it still works, it was cheaper to buy a new one rather than replace the bits. It doesn't take up much room, so I keep it as back up.

Pic of the Jeannette off Etsy. Mine has a juicer attachment as well, and was in a slightly different box.

il_570xN_359330860_3c0c.jpg

I guess the oldest I have is a proper egg whisker. Its one of those hand operated ones. You can get cheap ones that skip and cause all sorts of problems and are a pain in the neck to use, but this one is from the '60s and has a proper cog system made of nylon that is smooth and easy to use and makes you want to use it. My hubby hates it though because it is a pain to wash! One of these, a Prestige Egg Beater. So its around 60 years old. It came unused in its original packaging, but I didn't keep it because I planned and do use it.

egg beater.jpg

I did used to have a vintage Kenwood Chef Mixer, but I gave it away 7 years ago to a family member who still has it. It was of the '50s era.

Electric hand mixer from the early 80's. Got with cigarette coupons.

Other than that, I've a few knives from the 1930's, a meat cleaver that's over a 100 years old.
I'd forgotten about the knives from my late Grannie. They were part of her wedding gifts back at the end of WWII.

I guess the oldest I have is a proper egg whisker. Its one of those hand operated ones. You can get cheap ones that skip and cause all sorts of problems and are a pain in the neck to use, but this one is from the '60s and has a proper cog system made of nylon that is smooth and easy to use and makes you want to use it. My hubby hates it though because it is a pain to wash! One of these, a Prestige Egg Beater. So its around 60 years old. It came unused in its original packaging, but I didn't keep it because I planned and do use it.

View attachment 12128

I did used to have a vintage Kenwood Chef Mixer, but I gave it away 7 years ago to a family member who still has it. It was of the '50s era.
Did you keep the operating instructions shown in the box?

Not so much appliances or gadgets but cast iron pots 100+ years old. I think my mother still has some crocks that my grandparents used to salt cure meat prior to refrigeration. Also 100+ years old. I also have a cast iron clothes iron. I remember my grandmother heating it on top of the wood burning stove.

Electrolux Stand Mixer..jpg

I'd have to say that it's my long-standing Electrolux Assistant Stand Mixer.

Had it since the spring of '06, & it is still going strong as ever!!

It has been to hell & back from all the daunting tasks that I've Assigned it to! Takes a licking & keeps on ticking!!

Its huge 8-qt mixing bowl can accommodate up to 2, count 'em, TWO 7up Cake recipes at once!! Also, still looks new & shiny!! :wink:

Last edited:

View attachment 12128

I bought this egg whisk when I first left home and started building up my own collection of kitchen tools.
It's not a branded one but it works beautifully smoothly. I would still use it to beat egg whites if I didn't have an electric hand held one.
IMG_20171214_194718903.jpg

View attachment 12141

I'd have to say that it's my long-standing Electrolux Assistant Stand Mixer.

Had it since the spring of '06, & it is still going strong as ever!!

It has been to hell & back from all the daunting tasks that I've Assigned it to! Takes a licking & keeps on ticking!!

Its huge 8-qt mixing bowl
can accommodate up to 2, count 'em, TWO 7up Cake recipes at once!! Also, still looks new & shiny!! :wink:
16 pints!

Back
Top Bottom