What kind of bread would be best for a sandwich casserole?

JoanMcWench

Veteran
Local time
7:47 PM
So, I'm making a sandwich casserole this weekend & I wanted to make it with a delicious, absorbent, fresh enough bread to make it perfect but I'm unsure of what type of bread to use. I was thinking a day old sour bread but was not entirely sure if that was too simplistic? Anywho, suggestions are greatly appreciated.

**Sorry that I had to edit to answer but I'm not able to reply quite yet.

A sandwich casserole is something akin to a bread pudding but savory & with sandwiches. Here's my shorthand most preferred recipe however you can supplement the sandwiches however you like:
Sourdough bread loaf cut thick
1 lb thin sliced Sara Lee turkey
1 lb thin sliced Lorraine Swiss
1/2 cup of chives
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
2 tbs soft salted butter
4 eggs
2 cups cream
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

350 degree oven & grease casserole dish with butter
Make up sandwiches with the first five ingredients
Whisk the eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt & pepper bowl until a custard & dip each sandwich (allow time to absorb)
Shingle sandwiches in the casserole dish finish with pouring the remainder of the mixture over the top
Bake for 30 minutes covered
Uncover for the last 20ish minutes or until golden brown

Last edited:
Can I ask an innocent question please?

What's a sandwich casserole? I honestly have no idea as to what you mean!

Isn't that when you make the casserole then serve it in a big round loaf that has had the inside removed? It absorbs the juice and gives added texture, or am I completely off the mark?

So, getting back to the subject matter: My mother used to do this in the late 80's for the family & (though I was young) I always remembered it. She made the best bread pudding on the face of the planet so I only assume this was a natural progression for her out of necessity & familiarity. I guess the reason it really became something I do on regular occasions is because it can easily be manipulated with what type of sandwich you prefer or what really suits the occasion.

Well, you learn something new every day, savoury bread and butter pudding!

To be honest, I'm not a huge bread and butter pudding fan, it's the soggy bread thing, but it had never occurred to me you could make a savoury one!

Oh wow this is a great recipe! My family would love this. Thanks, I'm going to try it soon!

I figure the bottom layer of bread might get soggy, so I guess a thicker bread would be best. But I'm sure the top layer would firm up well, like a french toast? I can't wait to try this, thank you!

Thanks for this recipe JoanMcWench. I did try it yesterday, and it was pretty darn good! My kids ate it all without any prodding (as is needed for more of my vegetable casseroles), so you know it is good when I don't have to sit and supervise their meal. My husband who is part Irish said it tasted like an Irish meal - although he's only been to Ireland once so who knows if that's correct.

I used brown pumpernickel, with ham, muenster, and grainy mustard. The top layer of bread puffed up quite nicely, but as you said - the bottom layer was soggy. I cut one piece out and then baked it further, that helped for some liquid to drain and evaporate and then the bottom firmed up a bit more.

If I were to do it again, I would make two different egg mixtures, one for the bottom bread and one for the top. For the bottom I would make a ratio of cream and egg, heavier on the egg, so it firms up better. Also I would just lightly soak the bread and be sure it was not sopping. Then the top I would soak more thoroughly. The way I placed the meat and cheese it did make a good barrier between the top and bottom layer, so the breads could remain separated.

This does sound nice - almost like a deluxe rarebit or something! I would probably just make less of the sauce and just brush it over the top of the sandwiches to try and prevent sogginess.

Back
Top Bottom