What kind of cream can I eat with cereal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess it depends on how fussy you want to be in your definition of “cream.”

Any dairy (and non-dairy alternative) will be fine, it’s down to your individual taste. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole milk, those will do the trick, even if they’re not “cream.”

Personally, my favorite thing to pour over cereal (and I eat cereal five mornings a week) is half-and-half, which is a mix of milk and cream (so think of it as lighter than cream, but heavier than milk), but I usually just stick with 2%.

I’ve had full/heavy cream over Frosted Flakes and it was delicious and didn’t taste at all of cheese. Maybe your cream was a bit off?

Well, I guess it depends on how fussy you want to be in your definition of “cream.”

Any dairy (and non-dairy alternative) will be fine, it’s down to your individual taste. Skim, 1%, 2%, whole milk, those will do the trick, even if they’re not “cream.”

Personally, my favorite thing to pour over cereal (and I eat cereal five mornings a week) is half-and-half, which is a mix of milk and cream (so think of it as lighter than cream, but heavier than milk), but I usually just stick with 2%.

I’ve had full/heavy cream over Frosted Flakes and it was delicious and didn’t taste at all of cheese. Maybe your cream was a bit off?
I think so. What cream did people pour over their cereal back then?

I think so. What cream did people pour over their cereal back then?
I have no idea, whatever cream they had, I suppose. I think by then milk and cream were being pasteurized, so maybe not so different from what we have now, but I’m guessing there was a lot more fresh milk and cream around as well.

I’d suggest you buy a small container each of whole milk, half-and-half, whipping cream, and heavy whipping cream (that’s how it’s sold here, anyway) and try them out and see which one you prefer.

I’ll tell you this, though…for my money, depending on the cereal, nothing beats whole milk chocolate milk.

I can remember when I was very young, the milk (back then I don't recall skim or 2%) was not always homogenized and you'd have cream floating on the top. We were given those small cartons of white milk at morning recess and so you had to shake the heck out it before opening it. The only way you got chocolate milk was to add nestles Quick to it and stir like heck :thumbsup:

the only "cream" we poured on our cereal when I was a kid (1950s - 60s) was Gold Top milk.
As for you right now - pour any cream you like on your cereal. Low fat cream, half and half, light cream, heavy cream, whipping cream - even ice cream. Try them all until you find one that you like.

I can remember when I was very young, the milk (back then I don't recall skim or 2%) was not always homogenized and you'd have cream floating on the top. We were given those small cartons of white milk at morning recess and so you had to shake the heck out it before opening it. The only way you got chocolate milk was to add nestles Quick to it and stir like heck :thumbsup:

My dad worked at a dairy farm when until I was, like, nine or ten and we got fresh milk every day -- and mom poured off the cream every time.

I remember those lil cartons of milk at recess -- they were a nickel. (And so my conversations are beginning to sound like my grandpas. 🤣)

I just checked the wikipedia entry on cream and it says "Half and Half" was called "Cereal Cream", so mystery solved. 😁
Given that the ad suggests milk or cream, it would make sense that it is cream that is closer to milk in consistency than thick clotted cream or heavy whipping cream, than needs to be spread not poured...

Personally as a kid growing up, the fight in our household was for the unopened bottle of full cream milk delivered to the door step each morning. Don't shake it, just get the all of cream off the top and then top up with the remaining milk (over shreddies). That was the best for cereal, so I've frankly no idea why anyone would start off trying the extra thick cream first. The ad itself tells me (without the need to follow the link) that you need cream close in consistency to milk because milk is the alternative.

Anyhow, nowadays, I eat cereal with homemade unsweetened set yoghurt. Much nicer in my mind. Same with porridge oats, soak in yoghurt overnight, thin if needed.

Given that the ad suggests milk or cream, it would make sense that it is cream that is closer to milk in consistency than thick clotted cream or heavy whipping cream, than needs to be spread not poured...

Personally as a kid growing up, the fight in our household was for the unopened bottle of full cream milk delivered to the door step each morning. Don't shake it, just get the all of cream off the top and then top up with the remaining milk (over shreddies). That was the best for cereal, so I've frankly no idea why anyone would start off trying the extra thick cream first. The ad itself tells me (without the need to follow the link) that you need cream close in consistency to milk because milk is the alternative.

Anyhow, nowadays, I eat cereal with homemade unsweetened set yoghurt. Much nicer in my mind. Same with porridge oats, soak in yoghurt overnight, thin if needed.
So Which cream should I pour on my cereal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom