What kind of dried (or canned) beans do you use?

Never use dried beans......just lazy....

Red & black are most used...taste & health reasons..always high on list to watch carbs...blood sugar.

Do chickpeas count ?....lie roast them and use in 'tagine' recipes...

13 Bean Soup Mix:

13BeanSoupMix.png

Navy Beans, Small Red, Pinto, Black Eyed Peas, Baby Lima, Yellow Split Peas, Green Split Peas, Lentils, Great Northern, Black, Large Lima, Red Lentils, Red Kidney and Garbanzo are the 13 featured in this product.

So its really 9 bean soup mix!

Well, if you shrink down by noting two types of split peas, limas and lentils, 10. But if Baby Limas and Large Limas are 2 different species of Lima, Yellow and Green peas, two and two different species of lentil, 13. There is a 15 bean soup mix that uses 4 different types of lentils and something called cranberry beans, by N K Hurst Corp. (US).

Well, if you shrink down by noting two types of split peas, limas and lentils, 10. But if Baby Limas and Large Limas are 2 different species of Lima, Yellow and Green peas, two and two different species of lentil, 13. There is a 15 bean soup mix that uses 4 different types of lentils and something called cranberry beans, by N K Hurst Corp. (US).

Lima beans are what we call butter beans in the UK and they are definitely beans. I was meaning two types of lentils and two types of split peas = 4.

13 - 4 = 9. :)

They are all legumes. But they aren't all beans.

You don't subtract all 4 of them, just 1 of each.
But by that very concept if you are only deducting 1 for each 'type', surely you can only count all 9 beans as 1 because they are all the same 'type'? So by your thinking/logic, it is only a bean, lentil and pea soup, there by only 3 'types'? So I'll deduct 2 from 3 leaving 1?

Btw I'm with @morning glory on this, it's only 9 types of beans, not 13. Peas and lentils now matter how they are described are not beans and that's even being generous over the name of (and confusion behind) Black Eyed Peas and Black Eyed Beans being the same thing and actually being a bean...

Black-eyed peas (Vigna unguiculata) are a variety of the cowpea and are part of the family of beans & peas (Leguminosae or Fabaceae in the USA). Although called a pea, it is actually a bean.
From here (Library of Congress)

Back
Top Bottom