what level of ripeness do you like in a banana?

For eating? Pale yellow with green ends. For baking, a good ripeness nearing full brown. I never liked my raw bananas very ripe, they taste overwhelmingly like starch to me at that stage.
My husband is the opposite, so our banana's always get eaten no matter what ripeness they are.

To eat raw, I prefer all yellow, with brown spots emerging. No green!

However, I am allergic to raw bananas. I am fine if they are cooked, as in banana bread or my favorite, Bananas Foster.

CD

I like bananas mostly yellow with a touch of green on the end, like Windigo, and also I bake with the overripe bananas. Like bburned, I peel and freeze them if I am not going to use the overripe bananas. I don't like to eat bananas with brown spots on them, but they don't taste starchy to me, they just are too mushy and cloyingly sweet. It's the green bananas that taste starchy to me.

To eat raw, I prefer all yellow, with brown spots emerging. No green!
However, I am allergic to raw bananas. I am fine if they are cooked, as in banana bread or my favorite, Bananas Foster.

CD
Sorry to hear of your allergy.

Wife is the only eater here. Yellow skin but if they go brown she makes banana cake. I love it.

Russ
Yeah, we call it "banana bread" in the US. It's totally sweet but usually baked in a loaf pan and no one puts frosting on them. Delicious!

I like to make banana pancakes with honey, too.

Yeah, we call it "banana bread" in the US. It's totally sweet but usually baked in a loaf pan and no one puts frosting on them. Delicious!

I like to make banana pancakes with honey, too.
My wife rarely bakes but it here is done in a square cake tin. With choc icing.
All our families love it. That's her 1 contribution here lol

Russ

My wife rarely bakes but it here is done in a square cake tin. With choc icing.
All our families love it. That's her 1 contribution here lol

Russ
Chocolate icing sounds like a great addition!

I like a fair bit of green, green enough that they’re hard to peel. An even slightly ripe banana is nasty to me. I love them green, and I don’t even want to be in the same room with a ripe one.

I’ve made a few things with ripe bananas lately, but I’ve had to hold my nose and look away while doing so.

I like a fair bit of green, green enough that they’re hard to peel. An even slightly ripe banana is nasty to me. I love them green, and I don’t even want to be in the same room with a ripe one.

I’ve made a few things with ripe bananas lately, but I’ve had to hold my nose and look away while doing so.

Once again, I gotta' say...

Screen Shot 2022-08-13 at 1.52.13 PM.jpg

CD

It's important to pick a banana that is at the right level of ripeness for taste. Generally speaking, aim for a banana that is medium-ripe which means it has a slightly yellow skin with some green spots. The fruit's color indicates how sweet and ripe it is, and the more yellow or red the banana looks, the sweeter it will be.

Lots of bananas in Venezuela, from tiny finger-sized ones, (titiaros) short fat ones (cambur manzano) long yellow (cambur guineo) and even red ones. The accepted wisdom is that a ripe banana has a few brown spots on it. Once it goes brown completely , it´s overripe and is best used (by me) to make wonderful banana bread.

Not a banana, but I prefer plantains. I want the skin black as can be for making maduros. This is the point where the starch has turned to sugar and then they are sliced and fried.

Back
Top Bottom