What made you smile recently (2024)?

I don’t know if you ever watch America’s Test Kitchen, but Bridgette (whom MrsT refers to as “the mean one” :laugh: ) is originally from West Virginia, and her accent slides through every once in a while, and definitely when she says “onion” with a hard “g!” :laugh:
Bridgette mean? Where does that come from?

Bridgette mean? Where does that come from?
I’m just guessing, but compared to Julia (whom MrsT refers to as “the nice one”), Bridget can come across as a little sarcastic sometimes, a little snarky. Julia’s a lot more…bubbly and pleasant, I suppose.

I think if I snuck into the studios and Julia found me, she’d say, “Excuse me, can I help you?!” and if Bridget found me, she’d say, “Hold it right there, buster!” :laugh:

IMG_8120.jpeg

ATK: never could abide the main character . . .
Kimball? He left a while ago (now over at Milk Street doing essentially the same thing).

The thing is - I’ve always felt that he’s a bit of a jerk, but he really was the catalyst that made the rest of ATK/CC work - I can’t really watch those now because, as much as I like Bridget and Julia as cooks, they’re terrible hosts, and I can’t watch Milk Street, because the cooks over there don’t have the same love-hate chemistry that the cooks at ATK/CC had. 🤷‍♂️

yup, that's the guy.
I've watched a few episodes sans Kimball. I agree the 'hosts' have personalities that can abrade a viewer . . .

but what really tossed me is their "we bought&compared all the best . . . ."
the methodology and criteria never quite hit the mark for the home cook, or more accurately,,,, how I do things.

finally just gave up on ATK - triggered by their 'how to hard boil an egg' thing.
for fifty+years I've boiled water, plopped eggs into boiling water, set a timer, drained the boiling water, replaced with cold water and ice cubes, rested for 10-20 minutes. they tried this and said it did work as well as xyz.
in all my time I can only recall two eggs that did not peel cleanly - like in essentially two halves of the shell.
so, whatever they did, it ain't right - and if they want to present themselves as "expert" - they need to get it right.

works like
Vimeo

Back
Top Bottom