What makes a great cornbread?

Caitie_Grace

Local time
5:42 AM
Hey hey,

I’m trying to come up with a really good cornbread recipe. How would you describe your favorite cornbread/johnny cake? The recipe I have as of now tastes fine but it’s not melt in your mouth like butter amazing cornbread you know? It’s a little bit dry and crumbly. I think maybe the recipe I have asks for vegetable oil, would it be better with another type of oil or butter? Anyone want to share cornbread secrets?

Hello @Caitie_Grace

I've been playing with cornbread recipes for a couple of months - but I'm a Brit living in France, so I'm not sure how well my recipes crossover with US ingredients. Have a look at the thread below:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/simple-cornbread.13130/

I made a sweet cornbread using a very small drop of vanilla today - and I'm very pleased with it. It's not dry or crumbly at all.

I don't use vegetable oil - I much prefer to use butter.

To get round the slightly dry problem, I used a little bit more butter than in the initial recipe I posted in the above thread, and a drop more milk.

If it would be simpler for you I could post a revised recipe in the above thread - let me know?

Hello @Caitie_Grace

I've been playing with cornbread recipes for a couple of months - but I'm a Brit living in France, so I'm not sure how well my recipes crossover with US ingredients. Have a look at the thread below:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/simple-cornbread.13130/

I made a sweet cornbread using a very small drop of vanilla today - and I'm very pleased with it. It's not dry or crumbly at all.

I don't use vegetable oil - I much prefer to use butter.

To get round the slightly dry problem, I used a little bit more butter than in the initial recipe I posted in the above thread, and a drop more milk.

If it would be simpler for you I could post a revised recipe in the above thread - let me know?

I just found your thread I can’t believe I missed that *facepalm* Very helpful thank you!

Hey hey,

I’m trying to come up with a really good cornbread recipe. How would you describe your favorite cornbread/johnny cake? The recipe I have as of now tastes fine but it’s not melt in your mouth like butter amazing cornbread you know? It’s a little bit dry and crumbly. I think maybe the recipe I have asks for vegetable oil, would it be better with another type of oil or butter? Anyone want to share cornbread secrets?
The secret is the corn flour and corn meal. Along with many other stuff but your main goal should be to get really good corn flower and and corn meal. To old or very cheap will not have the right flavor.

If your using a sweet cornbread recipe replace sugar with mollasses or maple syrup. If the recipe calls for one cup of sugar add one cup of mollasses or maple syrup instead.

Use baking soda instead of baking powder it will help with your baking much more then the powder.

Now when it comes to oil you can use half oil and half butter.

Use milk instead of water this makes a big difference.

I do this every time I make cornbread. It taste amazing and heavenly everytime.

Caitie, are you thinking about a more Northern US style cornbread, where it is very sweet, or Southern, where the sublime savory sweetness of the corn is prized? Or even a South American Arepa style maize bread?

With all due respect, Nomadic Bob has been making Franken-cornbreads; assuredly delicious, nonetheless.

What are you trying to make, and who is eating it?

To juxtapose cultures, making biscuits and cornbread in the Southern US is akin to making Boxtie and Colcannon in Ireland. Supposedly simple, but greatly critiqued.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom