What new food or ingredient would you like to try for the first time in 2017?

ChowDownBob

Supersize Me!
Local time
12:29 AM
New year, new adventures, new searches for things to taste and try in your cooking ... so what new food or ingredient would you like to try in 2017?

For me, I'd like to try dragon fruit - they just look so fantastically weird and wonderful, like something out of a kids movie about magic, you know, so, well, unnatural. I can't decide, in my imagination, whether they'd taste sweet, sour, amazing or disgusting, but I'll endeavour to pick one up at some point and give it a try.

What other things would you guys like to try if you get the chance in 2017?

Sadly, although they look amazing, they taste of very little. They make a very dramatic addition to salads though...

Sadly, although they look amazing, they taste of very little. They make a very dramatic addition to salads though...
Oh, dear, that's a shame - and they look so wonderfully interesting ... like little magic hand grenades, that might explode into colourful sparkles if you throw one at the floor. :happy: Still, I might give one a try just to see for myself. :wink:

So, @morning glory, what would you like to try for the first time in 2017?

Oh, dear, that's a shame - and they look so wonderfully interesting ... like little magic hand grenades, that might explode into colourful sparkles if you throw one at the floor. :happy: Still, I might give one a try just to see for myself. :wink:

So, @morning glory, what would you like to try for the first time in 2017?
That's a good question. I've tried most things that I can actually get hold of!!!! The one thing I can think of that I've never had and would love to have is sea urchin. Impossible to source on-line and I don't know anywhere I can go to eat them!

I'd love to try lobster, just because it is not something you usually find on the menu at the restaurants I visit, and I perceive it to be an expensive high-end delicacy (although they may be very common in many places around the world?).

Last edited:
I'd love to try lobster, just because it is not something you usually find on the menu at the restaurants I visit, and I perceive it to be an expensive high-end delicacy (although they may be very common in many places around the world?).
Wonderful. One of my favourite foods. But it must be carefully cooked. Don't try a frozen supermarket one. You can buy them on-line - and I can get them fresh in Whitstable.

Turducken Roll..jpg

I'd like to try making a Turducken roll. :wink:

I've never had fresh truffles but I would like to. They are very expensive. I've got some truffle oil which is just delish! I sprinkle it on omelettes.
Oh yeah, that's another thing I'd like to try too. Maybe if I win the lottery ... :)

Oh yeah, that's another thing I'd like to try too. Maybe if I win the lottery ... :)

I''m lucky enough to have eaten truffle, thanks to a mate who brought me back 'one' from France. It lasted a while (thinly shaved) and was divine!

I concur with MG here. Dragon fruit has very little taste. We used to have a plant in the garden but it gave forth very few fruits.

dragonfruit.jpg

Wahey :woot: - I tried a dragon fruit last night. Bought it at the supermarket, got it home, all excited to try this madly unusual looking thing, and what a disappointment; it was like a tasteless pear. :(

So what other "exciting" or unusual foods could I try? Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom