What one thing you'd change in your kitchen?

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
10:54 AM
What's the one thing you'd change in your kitchen, if you could?

I'm guessing "bigger" and "more counter space" will be popular answers, so I'll skip those and say that I wish the water coming out of the kitchen faucet would get hot faster. It currently takes <goes to time hot water production> about two minutes and 20 seconds to get the water to go from cold to hot at the kitchen sink.

That's a lot of water while waiting. I'll usually capture as much as I can to top off the Keurig and the Brita pitcher, but even after doing that, a good bit just goes down the drain while I'm waiting.

What about you all, what would you change?

I'm guessing "bigger" and "more counter space" will be popular answers, so I'll skip those and say that I wish the water coming out of the kitchen faucet would get hot faster. It currently takes <goes to time hot water production> about two minutes and 20 seconds to get the water to go from cold to hot at the kitchen sink.

Yes I would want more space in general. I'm not bothered about the hot water as I think mine is quite fast to heat. What are you using the hot water for? I really only use it to wash my hands and occasionally a pan.

What are you using the hot water for? I really only use it to wash my hands and occasionally a pan.
Same as you, though I probably wash more stuff by hand, I think.

I just washed three knives, a cooling rack, my mini salad spinner, and a measuring cup - I don't put any of those in the dishwasher.

Change the color of the tiles. From that horrible red into something pastel, with a more homely feel.

Also, I'd like to have a smaller kitchen and a combo of living room+dining room instead of the combo living room+bedroom/kitchen +dining room I currently have.

I suppose I'd look a bit daft changing mine as I designed and built it myself. However, after 20 years, maybe another ½ metre on the width (making it 5m x 4m) which would also increase the width of the car port similarly.

[Edit: The car port would benefit with another metre in length also. 5 metres is not long enough for a 5 metre truck]

I'd love to add a balcony to my kitchen. I adore balconies, the being outside while inside. But, that's not possible, the building is as is.

Possibly rearranging a smarter way to move the dining table to the main living space, and make the table seatable for 3 or 4 persons. Thus creating space for a freezer in the kitchen, and a prep station.

Rearranging the dishwasher and stove to aestetically fit better into the kitchen cabinets, make better use of wall overhead space for more cupboard storage.

I'd love to add a balcony to my kitchen. I adore balconies, the being outside while inside. But, that's not possible, the building is as is.

I don't have a balcony but a rear stoep. However, it's only 3.50m x 1.00m. Basically good for drying clothes but that's it.

I'd reverse the decision I made to go with an electric cooktop instead of gas. I've regretted that since day one. Now, I'm looking forward to switching to induction, since gas is no longer an option.

CD

I don't have a balcony but a rear stoep. However, it's only 3.50m x 1.00m. Basically good for drying clothes but that's it.
I had to look up what stoep stands for. Lovely! Drying clothes also takes up some usable living space, would love to do it outdoors when wheather permits.

I found a company selling wall mounting lines, to be montaged below my windows, onto the facade. I might go that route. Lots of flats have those.

Architecturally probably not so eye pleasing,but it is practical.

I love dining outside, or at least sipping tea outside.

Do you dine outside? In your yard? Where your lime trees are?

Or is it not enjoyable due to the climate? And insects?

Back
Top Bottom