What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that not we call cornflower? But ours is white not blue.

Cornmeal is a bit coarser than corn flour. Here, we have white, yellow and blue cornmeal. Yellow cornmeal is the most used. Blue cornmeal is seldom used. You won't find it in every grocery store, like you would yellow and white.

CD

That's lot! What are you going to do with it all? I think I have a (small packet) in my cupboard. Its hard to obtain in the UK.

Yes. 10Lbs. is a lot. It's the smallest they had and only $22 US. I will be doing a lot of Southwestern, Central and South American style things, I suppose. But that's OK. Those type of foods are common in my neck of the woods and I like them.

I can now make blue corn tostadas, tortillas, sopes, burritos, etc.

I might also try some variations on muffins, corn breads, gravy mixtures, etc.

Last edited:
Is that not we call cornflower? But ours is white not blue.
It sounds like you have a bleached corn flour. My input about bleached flours is that they are less nutritious than unbleached. That's not the main reason I prefer wheat bread, but I know it. I just don't like mushy white breads. But when you buy store bought breads like baguettes, etc., you can't avoid bleached flour products. I usually use wheat or rye flours.

It sounds like you have a bleached corn flour. My input about bleached flours is that they are less nutritious than unbleached. That's not the main reason I prefer wheat bread, but I know it. I just don't like mushy white breads. But when you buy store bought breads like baguettes, etc., you can't avoid bleached flour products. I usually use wheat or rye flours.
Nah the cornflour I think Yorkers is referring to is corn starch which is commonly used in the UK for a sauce thickener
1605365012409.png

Nah the cornflour I think Yorkers is referring to is corn starch which is commonly used in the UK for a sauce thickenerView attachment 50490

That's right. Its another UK/US c onfusion.

Cornflour (UK) = Corn starch (US). Made from the endosperm of the corn kernel.

So today we drove over to a local farm that sells raw milk....its a long way to go for a couple of pints of milk, but it tastes amazing. Today was a special trip though....we also picked up a meat box of Wagyu-X beef (a variety of roasting joints, steaks and stewing beef....the freezer is nicely stocked now :okay:). Its their first year of raising the Wagyu-X and I can't wait to try it!

That's right. Its another UK/US c onfusion.

Cornflour (UK) = Corn starch (US). Made from the endosperm of the corn kernel.

Ah, I though corn flour was just cornmeal that was ground much finer. There are fine and course ground cornmeals in the US. Corn starch, as you said, is very different from cornmeal.

CD

Yes, I was.

Our cornflour (and mustard and baking powder, etc) is produced by a company called McGarrett which I believe is Hawaiian. Funny that they refer to the product as "corn flour".

Our cornflour (and mustard and baking powder, etc) is produced by a company called McGarrett which I believe is Hawaiian. Funny that they refer to the product as "corn flour".

View attachment 50534

I believe it is called corn flour in many Asian countries.

We use corn starch here regularly, but not as you would a flour like wheat flour. It is used as a thickening agent for soups and gravies. It is also mixed into wheat flour when breading things to be fried, like fried chicken. It promotes a lighter, crispier crust.

The colors of cornmeal here are caused by the colors of the corn kernels. White cornmeal uses white corn, yellow and blue cornmeals are from yellow and blue corn. There is a minor difference in flavor. White corn meal is the most delicate, IMO. Yellow is the most commonly used, general purpose cornmeal.

CD

CD

I had to go onto town for the first time in 3 weeks for an important trip to the post office. As I passed the vegetable market on the way home they were selling off everything cheaply so I bought a lot of fruit and veg. The most exciting was plantain and figs. We had fried plantain with jerk salmon and veg tonight.

Since March (first lockdown) I've been having a veg delivery, which is very good but quite limited to English Midlands staples, so it's nice to get something different.

Went into town for milk and half-and-half, and also came back with three pounds of ground beef and a nice pork shoulder, on sale for $1.49/lb. That's New Year's Day's main course sorted.

The colors of cornmeal here are caused by the colors of the corn kernels. White cornmeal uses white corn, yellow and blue cornmeals are from yellow and blue corn. There is a minor difference in flavor. White corn meal is the most delicate, IMO. Yellow is the most commonly used, general purpose cornmeal.

CD

Cornmeal or Corn Flour is traditionally used without processing by Native American Peoples.

My intents for the Blue Cornmeal and Blue Grits include Tortillas, among other things. I intend to post a recipe when I get photos prepared, but here are some notes I am including with the recipe. I post them here early due to the buzz.

NOTE 1: Tortillas are native to the Americas and were originally made with Corn. Wheat Flour Tortillas followed after introduction of Wheat by European settlement.

NOTE 2: Traditional Corn Tortillas are made from 100% unaltered Corn Flours. Mass produced Corn and Wheat Tortillas use nixtamalized Flours (for example, Masa Harina Corn Flour). Nixtamalization claims to improve the nutritional value of flours by pre-soaking the Corn or other Grain in an Alkaline solution (Limewater is commonly used). Nixtamalizing grain softens the grain, making it easier to grind into a fine soft flour. It does not necessarily improve its cohesive properties as a flour dough. It is not a requirement to use Masa Harina for making Tortillas, etc.

NOTE 3: Bleaching Flour is not the same as nixtamalization. All flours bleach naturally with age, but commercially mass produced bleached flour is aged faster using special bleaching agents (benzoyl peroxide and chlorine gas). Commercial bleaching of flours strips the flour of many important vitamins and minerals for the purpose of producing a whiter flour for baking purposes.

NOTE 4: Lard or Animal Fat is often used when making Tortillas, but is not a requisite. Substitutes like Olive Oil, Vegetable Oils or Butter are OK, or nothing at all, but water.

---

Please take note of what is meant by nixtamializing and bleaching of grains and flours. Masa Harina is nixtamalized Corn Flour and is finer ground. It is again, not necessary for concocting things with Cornmeal Flours.

Corn Starch is often used synonymous with Corn Flour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom