What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all the many times I've eaten faggots I've never had them either with bacon wrapped around or breadcrumbed (as Wiki cites). They are usually wrapped in caul. Would you concur The Velvet Curtain?
Absolutely, they are bound with caul, I've never heard of them wrapped in bacon. Some might have breadcrumbs in them for bulk but never crumbed on the outside. I can't even think what item the author might have been confusing them with.

Absolutely, they are bound with caul, I've never heard of them wrapped in bacon. Some might have breadcrumbs in them for bulk but never crumbed on the outside. I can't even think what item the author might have been confusing them with.

Also, the The Spruce Eats (quite a good American site) has this! To be fair it does say in the recipe use caul or bacon to wrap. But as I see it the bacon defeats the object of a faggot which is that it can break down into the gravy as you eat.

1614962459512.png

The Humble British Meat Faggot is Back in Fashion

How easy is it to get caul there? It's not easy to find here.

You have to go to a good butchers. You wouldn't find it in the supermarket. You can get it on-line. The idea is that the caul melts as the faggot cooks thus retaining the shape of the faggot. To be honest I think if people want faggots they would buy them from the butchers ready made as they would sausages. I've certainly never made any (but eaten lots).

You have to go to a good butchers. You wouldn't find it in the supermarket. You can get it on-line. The idea is that the caul melts as the faggot cooks thus retaining the shape of the faggot. To be honest I think if people want faggots they would buy them from the butchers ready made as they would sausages. I've certainly never made any (but eaten lots).
About the same as here, then.

I've asked for it before, and the responses I've gotten have ranged from, "What's that?" to "You have to special-order it" to "Caulk is in the hardware aisle." :laugh:

Did my shopping at Meijer's today (a bit unusual for me):

That's the only pre-made pizza sauce I like, and Meijer's the only place I can find it, so when I'm there, I usually buy a couple.

2 Horseshoe gammon steaks
150 gm Duck and orange pâté
4 Burger buns
10 Dairy Milk wholenut bars
Half a New Zealand beef fillet (1.20 kg)

Our son bought last week a full fillet 2.8 kg for $60 he was here yesterday and told me as I put him onto my new halal butcher. He got 16 steaks or $3 each which is dirt cheap.

Russ

We went to a butcher factory store that's open to the public two days a week, one being a Saturday which suits us. We got chicken schnitzel, 4 packs of 10 beef sausages for BBQ and freezer. Three trays of mint flavoured lamb chops. Packs of two just right for two of us. I gave my wife a list of about 8 other things, one of them being sugar. We had cups of tea this morning with caster sugar. She forgot to get sugar.

Russ

We had cups of tea this morning with caster sugar. She forgot to get sugar.
What sugar do you normally use?

I think your caster sugar is what we'd call bar sugar here, or also sometimes called quick-dissolve sugar, because it's just regular white granulated sugar, but it's in a superfine grain.

What sugar do you normally use?

I think your caster sugar is what we'd call bar sugar here, or also sometimes called quick-dissolve sugar, because it's just regular white granulated sugar, but it's in a superfine grain.
Just granulated normal sugar. Caster I'd finer and mainly used in confectionery?? Finer grain.

Russ

So superfine granulated sugar, but not icing/confectioner's sugar, right?

Now you have me questioning myself now something I took for granted. Caster is quite fine, ordinary is a chunkier grain. Our producer is Chelsea sugar based in Auckland. I need to google it now,lmao.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom