What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wholegrain Thai Red Rice

You've never come across currywurst before? It's practically a national dish in Germany. TastyReuben will be horrified :wink:

Never been to Germany. German food is not so big in the UK is it (?) aside from the Birmingham - a spectacular German market which I went to several years ago.

Birmingham’s German market was set up in 1997.

It's known more formally as the Frankfurt Christmas Market Birmingham because most traders are said to come from the German twin city .
https://www.happyinshape.com/variou...Ab9JjUH3Huzhj-q58c5by1Qau9iCl4FEoi5q_z7iD3IV6
Kurt Stroscher, Frankfurt City Council’s director of festivals and events, came up with the idea as a way to market his home city overseas.
By bringing a taste of a traditional German Christmas to Britain he hoped to tempt British visitors over to Frankfurt for the real deal.

Mr Stroscher said: "The idea was to bring a little bit of our Christmas culture to the UK."Birmingham was the first city the Christmas markets came to because Frankfurt has a partnership with Birmingham as twin towns."

He added: "In Birmingham it’s really an authentic Christmas market, just like one you’d find in Frankfurt. Christmas markets in Germany are very traditional and that’s what I prefer – the wooden stalls, the German products, the culture."

frankfurt-market.jpg

We usually do our shop on saturdays, (yesterday) but we never got round to it with grandkids here.we will go shortly,
We are having for Sunday family dinner,garlic bread and Thai chicken salad. Dessert?
So we’re getting lettuces basil coriander cucumber and a cooked chicken. Plus other stuff.

Russ

I don't even know what currywurst is and I'm not sure I need to know. Packet mixes... OK...
Any variety of sausage, served with or without a roll, and with curry ketchup for the sauce.

Curry ketchup is fantastic. I love it. I'll add some to your gift hamper I'll bring you when it's easier to travel (let's see... 🤔...hominy, black walnuts, sorghum, Cincy chili, curry ketchup...).

You've never come across currywurst before? It's practically a national dish in Germany. TastyReuben will be horrified :wink:
Note the shocked emoji I gave that post of MG's!

To the previously obtained Krainer sausage, Austria-Slovenia food fight over Krainer sausage
A geographical certificate dispute article,I found interesting...Wiener wurstel are apparently Frankfurter sausages under a different name, not disputed...
I am newbie comebacker to the sausage world, so please bear with me🤓

What else was surprising was the newness of the Krainer sausage recipe,apparently late 19 th century...I thought they were there forever...

The ones we got yesterday were produced by a Croatian (legendary) meat factory Gavrilovic...probably obeying the original recipe...

Last week as I was sitting in the commute train, a huge logo of Gavrilovic was on the window...it is kind of cute...

And it says tradition since 1690. Wait what, I thought I missread the numbers and googled, yep...

Krainer might have been added to the products later on? I really do not know, but it tastes good.

Corn flour. Olive oil. Peasant sausage(locally named as such).
Kohlrabi. Was surprised to read kohlrabi had that much vitamin C. Almost double as mandarines, if that is correctly interpreted.

I ate a third of kohlrabi raw with other stuff for supper, used the green leaves and stems for a simple lovely soup.
View attachment 73103
My wife absolutely loves kohlrabi, just peeled, sliced, and with a lot of salt.

Never heard of this, I am curious 🙂 What is it?
Think of a cross between a turnip and a radish, sort of like that.

Kohlrabi - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom