What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could probably put the dog food I buy in a pot roast. It is all class A human grade food, only they are not allowed to mention that on the label :D
The roll food is like that, and when I open it, it smells like really good luncheon meat with a bit of fresh mint mixed it.

The little plastic tubs of food that serve as her treats - I shudder to think what goes in there.

The roll food is like that, and when I open it, it smells like really good luncheon meat with a bit of fresh mint mixed it.

The little plastic tubs of food that serve as her treats - I shudder to think what goes in there.
Years ago there was a programme on TV where the panel had to guess what guests did for a living. One of the guests was a dog-food taster for a local dog food company (Spratts). He said there was nothing in there that people could not eat, although I don't think the same could be said for some modern brands. One of our local stores were selling wrongly labelled cans - their dog food was rumoured to be human grade steak pie filling - it certainly smelt gorgeous.

Years ago there was a programme on TV where the panel had to guess what guests did for a living. One of the guests was a dog-food taster for a local dog food company (Spratts). He said there was nothing in there that people could not eat, although I don't think the same could be said for some modern brands. One of our local stores were selling wrongly labelled cans - their dog food was rumoured to be human grade steak pie filling - it certainly smelt gorgeous.
Dick Van Patten (actor) went into the premium dog food business before there was a premium dog food business, and part of his schtick to prove how good it was was to eat it in the adverts.

What little dog food I've accidentally ingested didn't so much as taste bad as it tasted of nothing. Bland. We humans like our salt!

1 egg, atm. I am going out in another hour to collect the rest.
I wish I could send you a few. Hubby took another 6 dozen to work today to give away. We've still got 3 dozen in the fridge. We're down to 8 a day because 3 girls are getting over being broody and haven't started laying again. Thankfully they have stopped sitting. We now have the main coop (top coop or the big coop) and winterfowl (a second hand chicken coop we picked up very cheaply 18 months ago and provided they are not exposed to the elements they tend to be ok, ours is under a roof.) It came named that way, with a name tag. It's meant to be for the bantams and any sick chook but there's 1 chook that gets picked on badly (her own fault) so we keep her down here now, then a friend decided to join her and nothing we do gets hers roosting with the main flock. Agree had even ditched her life long partner to roost with hey new friend! And then our new chook just seems to want to sleep down here as well.
Finally there is a small prefab cheap chook house we have named the penthouse. Not for its looks but because at the moment it is the lock up for broody chooks to break them. If it doesn't work then it will become their maturity ward. The nesting boxes are designed (!) to have slats in the bottom and wood shavings don't stay in there very long so it is a cooler nesting area and I can remove three tray under the roost as wrt to increase air flow to reduce body temperature to break the chook from being broody without actually doing anything to her. Failing that putting one if the bantams in with a broody is a really good way of breaking both of them (my bantams are taking it is turns being broody at the moment, neither will be good mums because both are near feral and whilst they are excellent mothers, they raise feral offspring that i can't handle, catch, look after or generally get even close to, so I'm not letting them raise young. If they have to sit on eggs, I'll be hand raising the bantam chicks!

I wish I could send you a few. Hubby took another 6 dozen to work today to give away. We've still got 3 dozen in the fridge. We're down to 8 a day because 3 girls are getting over being broody and haven't started laying again. Thankfully they have stopped sitting. We now have the main coop (top coop or the big coop) and winterfowl (a second hand chicken coop we picked up very cheaply 18 months ago and provided they are not exposed to the elements they tend to be ok, ours is under a roof.) It came named that way, with a name tag. It's meant to be for the bantams and any sick chook but there's 1 chook that gets picked on badly (her own fault) so we keep her down here now, then a friend decided to join her and nothing we do gets hers roosting with the main flock. Agree had even ditched her life long partner to roost with hey new friend! And then our new chook just seems to want to sleep down here as well.
Finally there is a small prefab cheap chook house we have named the penthouse. Not for its looks but because at the moment it is the lock up for broody chooks to break them. If it doesn't work then it will become their maturity ward. The nesting boxes are designed (!) to have slats in the bottom and wood shavings don't stay in there very long so it is a cooler nesting area and I can remove three tray under the roost as wrt to increase air flow to reduce body temperature to break the chook from being broody without actually doing anything to her. Failing that putting one if the bantams in with a broody is a really good way of breaking both of them (my bantams are taking it is turns being broody at the moment, neither will be good mums because both are near feral and whilst they are excellent mothers, they raise feral offspring that i can't handle, catch, look after or generally get even close to, so I'm not letting them raise young. If they have to sit on eggs, I'll be hand raising the bantam chicks!

Chickens can live lives of soap operas!

After the old rooster turned mean to human and fowl alike, I had to remove him. (Indeed, no one would want him, so yes, parts of him are in the freezer). I put in a maturing cockerel (giving them time for him and the hens to adjust to each other) before releasing him. He was fine for a few days, but then he started in on his new found ladies. So... he's currently separated out from them but I would like to re-home him - he's (to us humans) sweet as can be. At least, now. I don't have space to winterize him apart from the coop, so a home will have to be found soon. I have a less mature cockerel (no crowing) who will go join the ladies this evening, and will also have time out in the chicken crate so everyone can get used to each other, before I release him to "general population".

Next year, I plan to get a second coop. This will help a LOT. I also want to build other sturdy structures here and there.

What little dog food I've accidentally ingested didn't so much as taste bad as it tasted of nothing. Bland. We humans like our salt!
Except me - I don't do salt, except when eating mini pretzels to counteract the sweetness of one of my meds (don't do sugar normally either).

Four eggs so far today. There might be more because when they free range they don't always go back home to lay. I know, I know... ladies, go lay at home!!! They'll go back in, in about an hour or so, for the night. (Sometimes I'll find eggs around the yard... of which I'll be careful, if I haven't looked at that portion of the yard recently enough...)

Tomorrow is the out-sourced grocery run...

Except me - I don't do salt, except when eating mini pretzels to counteract the sweetness of one of my meds (don't do sugar normally either).

I'm not much of a salt person, either. Potatoes, however - if I'm ever told I have to cut out salt, I'll probably have to cut out potatoes, because that's one food that seems to require salt, to me. (I am able to use much less if I have my Yukon golds, however - since they already have close to sufficient intrinsic flavor.)

ATM no meds, just personal preference.

We bought a different meat today, 1 that I've only had once in my life and that was in a fairly small amount. $17 a pound. Kind will be revealed tomorrow.

Four eggs so far today. There might be more because when they free range they don't always go back home to lay. I know, I know... ladies, go lay at home!!! They'll go back in, in about an hour or so, for the night. (Sometimes I'll find eggs around the yard... of which I'll be careful, if I haven't looked at that portion of the yard recently enough...)

Tomorrow is the out-sourced grocery run...

I've slowly tracked down all of the locations that they can and have used and made them unfriendly enough that they now return to the coop to lay. Plus my lot don't free range in the mornings. They do have access to a huge fenced in run (25m by 10m maybe) for the 8 layers up there (there are 2 older girls and obviously my cockerel, he's not 1 year old yet so can't be called a rooster). I've found that this approach minimises the eggs lain elsewhere. But it does mean that some chook friendly gaps have bricks or a bucket on its side stuffed into them. But moving into a new house or just staring with chooks means you'll spend the first season finding those hiding places and dealing with them. The largest cache of eggs we found was +40. A quick float test proved all were fine to eat . The largest cache with a missing chicken (a bantam of all girls) in tow was 33 eggs. Only 2 ever hatched and it was only because of those 2 that we found our missing chicken. She'd been sitting hidden in the agapanthus on this clutch and every time the flock came out free ranging they were laying more eggs on top of what she was sitting on. She wasn't a very high ranking chook in the pecking order so was easily bullied off the nest. The result was that the only the top layer of eggs were warm enough to incubate when the flock were kept in because if a fox sighting.

So make those spots unattractive to your birds. Open them up, cut things back or put bricks in the bottom to stop them being comfortable. Generally let you chooks know that the spot is known to you. Also look at making the dedicated nesting boxes more friendly. We're actually put a partition down the middle (it's some shading material on a net curtain wire so we can easily open it to go in, and it stops a foot short of the ground so the chooks just go under it). Chooks like a darker secretive area for nesting. Give them that and they'll return to the nesting boxes. My lot actually walk back across 2 fields to use the nest boxes now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom