What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoofly pie - Wikipedia

3040d619-c98a-4796-9a81-8ebd099a7fef-jpeg.jpg

Photo from Discover Lancaster
Hey, i like the sound of that and in 'traditional' form it has no dairy in it apparently. But I found see it being very very sweet, rather like sticky toffee pudding and needing goodly amount of cream as an accompaniment.

My husband's work have sent him a hamper...

It is all chocolate and wine! :cry:

There's not a single thing I can eat or drink. (Apart from not drinking wine, that particular one isn't vegetarian friendly let alone vegan friendly and is refined using the very protein I'm highly allergic to (casein, the main milk protein) and have 'responded' to it in the past).

Now you know why my diet has been so successful, lol. :D

View attachment 85701

There's not a single thing I can eat or drink. (Apart from not drinking wine, that particular one isn't vegetarian friendly let alone vegan friendly and is refined using the very protein I'm highly allergic to (casein, the main milk protein) and have 'responded' to it in the past).

I would love that package but considering your situation it's not very thoughtful at all. Is your husband not vegan then?

View attachment 85701

Reminds me of my birthday. Only two presents and they were both chocolate. Not that I have an allergy or anything, I just don't like chocolate. I gave them away.

Maybe you could sell the hamper locally and buy something you can both eat - or offer it up as a swap?

Is your husband not vegan then?
He's vegetarian minus dairy but dairy causes him to snore badly (dairy causes mucus build-up/increases it's production in most people k little known fact but it's true). Most live with the symptoms without even knowing or just putting up with 'bad sinuses'. Since we have had to omit all dairy from our diet, on the rare occasions he consumes dairy, his snoring, and general stuffiness & sinus issues increase badly).

Maybe you could sell the hamper locally and buy something you can both eat - or offer it up as a swap?
There's not really anything locally at all and most won't travel 65km to swap something. We haven't even been able to give away a $690 3 seater sofa, $290 single seater chair and a foot stool of about $190, all with 2 separate, unmarked & freshly laundered covers for all 3.

He'll munch his way through the chocolate slowly. He's sleeping in another room at the moment using the day bed because it allows him to form a tent with the quilt over his foot so not hurting him.... if I can hear him snore in another room, I'll just ring him up in the middle of the night, or yell at him. Usually I just poke him in the ribs. To be honest I'm more concerned about his waistline! The red wine we'll sit on until we can donate it to someone else as a present...

There's not a single thing I can eat or drink.
You know, before I even scrolled past the picture, I thought, “She can’t eat any of that! What are you thinking?!” ☹️

I imagine you’re somewhat used to that, though, sadly. Maybe treat yourself to a nice SatNav-friendly lunch the next time you’re in town. Not the same as getting a big basket of goodies from someone else, though.

It does remind me of the time, back around 1996 or so, where our employer sprang for a pizza party. Back then, having coworkers from India on-site was a bit of a novelty, so when they ordered in pizza…yup, every last one was covered in meat. They didn’t even consider that anyone would be vegetarian.

You know, before I even scrolled past the picture, I thought, “She can’t eat any of that! What are you thinking?!” ☹️

I imagine you’re somewhat used to that, though, sadly. Maybe treat yourself to a nice SatNav-friendly lunch the next time you’re in town. Not the same as getting a big basket of goodies from someone else, though.

It does remind me of the time, back around 1996 or so, where our employer sprang for a pizza party. Back then, having coworkers from India on-site was a bit of a novelty, so when they ordered in pizza…yup, every last one was covered in meat. They didn’t even consider that anyone would be vegetarian.
Yeah it's really thoughtless, but seems to be quite common. I've been invited to dinner several times at my husbands office, and all they ever offer is a choice of meat or fish. Vegetarian isn't even considered. Let alone allergies or other dietary complications. I rarely accept such offers because my condition of not being able to eat all vegetables, but some cooked certain ways is even less understood because being without a colon is even rarer than most allergies.

There are 12 boxes/packets of chocolate and the red wine.

Checking the ingredients I had to scratch my head at this one... somehow a non-dairy creamer contains, yep you got it in one, dairy!

If you carefully follow the brackets the "non-dairy creamer" contains the following;

Corn syrup solids
Coconut oil
Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative)
Dipotassium phosphate
Mono- and digylcerides
Tricalcium phosphate
Soy lecithin

It appears that this is an "American" thing because the hot chocolate mix is made in the USA and looking into it, I established this (my bold)

A regulatory definition does exist for the term, non-dairy. But, incredibly, the regulatory definition actually allows the presence of the milk protein, casein, in such products. Non-dairy is commonly used on coffee creamers made from caseinate, a milk protein, rather than milk or cream. The term, non-dairy, is a long-standing byproduct of the strong dairy lobby that wanted to assure that substitute milk and cream products could not bear the dairy name

Dairy-Free and Non-Dairy? | FARRP | Nebraska. The good old American dairy industry at work yet again!

So my weekly shop... I've a variety of things on the menu this week, all from the book "veggiestan". I'll be cooking some of then today.

He's vegetarian minus dairy but dairy causes him to snore badly (dairy causes mucus build-up/increases it's production in most people k little known fact but it's true). Most live with the symptoms without even knowing or just putting up with 'bad sinuses'. Since we have had to omit all dairy from our diet, on the rare occasions he consumes dairy, his snoring, and general stuffiness & sinus issues increase badly).

There's not really anything locally at all and most won't travel 65km to swap something. We haven't even been able to give away a $690 3 seater sofa, $290 single seater chair and a foot stool of about $190, all with 2 separate, unmarked & freshly laundered covers for all 3.

He'll munch his way through the chocolate slowly. He's sleeping in another room at the moment using the day bed because it allows him to form a tent with the quilt over his foot so not hurting him.... if I can hear him snore in another room, I'll just ring him up in the middle of the night, or yell at him. Usually I just poke him in the ribs. To be honest I'm more concerned about his waistline! The red wine we'll sit on until we can donate it to someone else as a present...
Yeah, I suffer through bad sinuses full and well knowing the issue, but not giving up dairy. I'd rather suffer (since I am not going into anaphylactic shock over it). I'd rethink it if it landed me in hospital.

Yeah, I suffer through bad sinuses full and well knowing the issue, but not giving up dairy. I'd rather suffer (since I am not going into anaphylactic shock over it). I'd rethink it if it landed me in hospital.
Several of my "family", as in my husband's sister in law and his mother both drink goats milk now which they found considerably better for them, easing their issues. They used to think I was "making it up" and just trying to be awkward until they came to stay with us many years ago. At the time, I was able to consume goats and sheep milk products and goats milk goats butter, goats cream, goats yoghurt and goats & sheep's cheese was easily available in the UK even back them. They put up with the goats milk etc because that was all I served. Then they went home after a week and went back to cows milk products.... It didn't take long for them to move completely over to goats milk permanently. I moved over to goats milk back in 1994. And we moved to the house concerned back in 1998, so they've been on it for about 2 decades.

Presumably you know if you get a cold or chest infection etc to stay away from dairy as much as possible until you're over the "bug". You'll get better much faster. That's actually how we (myself and my doctor) diagnosed it back in the very beginning. After 6 weeks of chest infections and asthma issues, my GP requested I stay off it until I was given the all clear, 2 weeks later, and given the all clear, i went home and started drinking cows milk again and landed myself in hospital with a major asthma attack. Ended up back at my doctors... goats and sheep's only from them, except for 1 or 2 cows cheeses which were from a dedicated breed of cow and a certain brand of that cheese which I found still tolerate (something to do with the breed of cow and processing of the cheese)...

Several of my "family", as in my husband's sister in law and his mother both drink goats milk now which they found considerably better for them, easing their issues. They used to think I was "making it up" and just trying to be awkward until they came to stay with us many years ago. At the time, I was able to consume goats and sheep milk products and goats milk goats butter, goats cream, goats yoghurt and goats & sheep's cheese was easily available in the UK even back them. They put up with the goats milk etc because that was all I served. Then they went home after a week and went back to cows milk products.... It didn't take long for them to move completely over to goats milk permanently. I moved over to goats milk back in 1994. And we moved to the house concerned back in 1998, so they've been on it for about 2 decades.

Presumably you know if you get a cold or chest infection etc to stay away from dairy as much as possible until you're over the "bug". You'll get better much faster. That's actually how we (myself and my doctor) diagnosed it back in the very beginning. After 6 weeks of chest infections and asthma issues, my GP requested I stay off it until I was given the all clear, 2 weeks later, and given the all clear, i went home and started drinking cows milk again and landed myself in hospital with a major asthma attack. Ended up back at my doctors... goats and sheep's only from them, except for 1 or 2 cows cheeses which were from a dedicated breed of cow and a certain brand of that cheese which I found still tolerate (something to do with the breed of cow and processing of the cheese)...
Yes, I know not to consume dairy when sick with respiratory illness. I don't drink milk or use it with cereal. I love cheese and butter, however. I do like goat cheese and use it regularly. I wouldn't know where to find goat's milk but since I don't use milk it's unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom