What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife brought these home on Monday. There were eight (now seven). They will likely last me until Christmas.

View attachment 34399

Unfortunately, I forgot that we were being visited by the inlaws (including a 5 year old) for a week. There are only two left now (and I had to fight for those!).

You could probably put the dog food I buy in a pot roast. It is all class A human grade food, only they are not allowed to mention that on the label :D

My daughters dog the other night had a big ribeye for tea. I took steaks out and when thawed there was 1 more than I thought. Lucky Billy.

Russ

This week's shopping: Chantenay carrots, sweet potatoes, Savoy cabbage, baby spinach, a couple of large courgettes, three of the biggest tomatoes I've ever seen, and a couple of large onions to tide me over till the weekend when my 1.5 kg bag comes. Add to that, a dozen white figs and 3 litres plus 2 pints of milk, and that's me sorted. The mutt and the mutzies have got enough food in the cupboard to last them a couple of weeks.
One of the onions, half the spinach and a couple of the figs have been used already.

Where can you get unpasteurised milk these days?
You can only buy unpasteurised milk "at the farm gate" in the UK, and now our local farm has become almost entirely housing estate there is nowhere near me that does it any longer. Riverford have their own dairy but can only deliver pasteurised milk. Milk&More (Muller) apparently deliver milk from farms local to [your] area but do not specify which farms and of course this is pasteurised.

I am not allowed to have treated milk, which usually means UHT milk, but some people count homogenised and filtered milks as treated too. I refer to treated milk as any milk which has something done to it that you cannot do yourself at home, i.e. homogenised would come under this heading too, whereas you can pasteurise milk quite easily yourself. All that means is that the milk has been brought up to a certain temperature to kill off any bacteria in it. I wouldn't buy unpasteurised milk anyway - it certainly isn't recommended for the very young, the elderly, pregnant women, or anyone whose immune system has been compromised in any way. I know chemo has that effect, not sure about radiotherapy so am not taking any chances.

Hey, you have a Texas beer in your mix. Made in Shiner, Texas, population 2,069.

CD

We love Shiner beers here and they make frequent appearances at our house.

Where can you get unpasteurised milk these days?

Nowhere here, not even "at the farm gate." Is illegal. Ohio is a big dairy producer and we happen to have the largest Amish population (a few hours northeast of us), and it makes the news here every so often of Amish families caught selling raw milk.

You can sell raw milk in Florida, but it has to be labeled for animal consumption only. It's also not cheap, much more expensive than grocery store milk. We've bought to make cheese in the past.

That's because it's ultra-pasteurised. Sorry, but I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole even if I was allowed to drink it.

It tastes great to me, but what do I know.

In Texas, a producer (farm) can sell raw milk directly to a consumer. No middle-man, no delivery. Consumers have to go to the farm, and buy it. The farmer must also have a retail dairy sales permit from the State.

Unless I wanted to make cheese, I can't imagine buying un-pasteurized raw milk.

CD

Checking the internet, it appears that in Ohio, it's still illegal to trade in raw milk. If you want to consume raw milk, you need to buy a cow and have it.

It also looks like you can become a shareholder in a herd, then you're considered an owner, and you're allowed a share of the raw milk then, but again, for personal use only. No buying/selling.

It tastes great to me, but what do I know.

In Texas, a producer (farm) can sell raw milk directly to a consumer. No middle-man, no delivery. Consumers have to go to the farm, and buy it. The farmer must also have a retail dairy sales permit from the State.

Unless I wanted to make cheese, I can't imagine buying un-pasteurized raw milk.

CD
Years ago it was much more readily available in the UK. We often used to have it. One of my aunts and uncles used to have a large dairy farm and always used raw milk. When I was in Greece, it was raw milk all the way in the village. The family where I lived had their own cow and all the milk was raw. No milk marketing boards or anything like that in rural Greece! In both places milk was more or less straight from the cow. Nowadays I make cheese with pasteurised milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom