What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to italian market yesterday. They had ground chuck on sale, they grind their own meat, for $3.99 a pound for 5 pounds or more. So, i got 1 package of 3 pounds for chili and two 1 pound packages.

We also got 3 slices of oreo cheesecake that were $6 a slice so i can sympathize with karadekoolaid . They are decent size slices so half of 1 is enough for me at a sitting.

Also picked up some Parm R, a big ball of fresh moz that was used last night in eggplant parm, dolce gorgonzola, and halloumi. Also noticed they are making fresh ricotta now.

Took a quick run through their produce department. Didn't get any but they had fresh green olives. Never saw them before anywhere. No idea what to do with them either other than brine them.

medtran49 *sigh*
I only wish we had an Italian Market or any other ethnic market for that matter *sigh*
sigh.jpg

IMG_2143.JPG

Crumbl Cookies :woot:
from left to right:
Peanut Butter Munch w/ Muddy Buddies
Dark Dream - a chocolate cookie packed and topped with semi-sweet chocolate chips
Milk Chocolate Chip
A cold glass of milk later and we're going to possibly call that dinner :laugh:

OOOFFF! Curry leaves, karela, scotch bonnet and mushies - yum!

Yeah - its the best Asian shop in Maidstone but you need to get there when they have got fresh produce - is it the only Asian shop (not sure as a lot of ethnic shops are Turkish I think)? Its the Everest cash and carry in Sandling Road

What are the things in containers in the last photo?

Also - are those turnips in the 2nd photo? They are one of my favourite vegetables. What are you going to do with them?

What are the things in containers in the last photo?

Also - are those turnips in the 2nd photo? They are one of my favourite vegetables. What are you going to do with them?
Those are yogurt pots; vanilla, strawberry cheesecake, and toasted marshmallow.

Yes, those are turnips, we love them. They nearly always get eaten raw with a salt.

They nearly always get eaten raw with a salt.

That's unusual (to me). They are lovely cooked too. Oddly, they are not easy to buy here. I think they used to be, but have somehow fallen off the supermarket agenda. Top chefs use them quite a lot though. So this humble root has become a gourmet treat.

That's unusual (to me). They are lovely cooked too. Oddly, they are not easy to buy here. I think they used to be, but have somehow fallen off the supermarket agenda. Top chefs use them quite a lot though. So this humble root has become a gourmet treat.
We grew a lot of turnips growing up, and yes, they’ve always been considered lowly/humble/poor people’s food - we even have a saying here for when someone is getting a little uppity, “Remember, you were raised on turnips just like me!”

Mom mainly boiled and mashed them, but I’ll bet we ate more raw with salt than any other way, and not served as a meal, but more like a snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom