What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We love Shiner beers here and they make frequent appearances at our house.

I first tried Shiner back in college in the early 80s. Back then, I don't think you could get it outside of Texas, and it wasn't easy to find in North Texas. Then Shiner Bock became "famous," and spread all over the States.

I really like how micro-breweries have caught on in the US. I travel a lot for business, and it is fun to sample the local brews in different cities and States.

CD

I first tried Shiner back in college in the early 80s. Back then, I don't think you could get it outside of Texas, and it wasn't easy to find in North Texas. Then Shiner Bock became "famous," and spread all over the States.

I really like how micro-breweries have caught on in the US. I travel a lot for business, and it is fun to sample the local brews in different cities and States.

CD
Yeah, we always do that. First question after approaching the bar..."What's local?" Same with the beer selection at grocery stores when we're traveling.

The beers in the picture above are, left to right), Connecticut, Texas, local, local, California, and local-ish (Lexington, KY).

There's a micropub about half a mile from where I live but it's not a walk I'd like to do in the dark. The other nearest one is almost next door to our "local" Waitrose - not far as the crow flies but a horrible journey by public transport in the dark, and I'd rather not go by car in case their beer is addictive :wink: On the plus side, however, they are dog-friendly.

There's a micropub about half a mile from where I live but it's not a walk I'd like to do in the dark. The other nearest one is almost next door to our "local" Waitrose - not far as the crow flies but a horrible journey by public transport in the dark, and I'd rather not go by car in case their beer is addictive :wink: On the plus side, however, they are dog-friendly.
A couple of observations from an American:

1. "Walking distance" means something much different to many Americans than it does to many Britons. A half-mile would be stretching it, as anything more than a city block is considered applicable for a car. :)

I can recount multiple occasions where we'd be in a village we didn't know, as for directions, and someone would invariably say, "Oh, it's just there, <point in some general direction> well within walking distance, just turn left at the street just there."

We'd turn left at the street "just there" and walk a bit...and a bit more...and a bit more...and finally come upon a sign that would say what we were looking for was another two miles along.

2. Dogs and pubs go together like nobody's business. Nothing lightens my heart more than to walk into a pub, look around, and see dogs piled here and there, snoozing while their owners have a drink and a snack.

Probably the number one complaint my wife hears from (American) clients returning from England is "They let dogs in the bars! Disgusting!" - even though she tells every last person traveling there that dogs in pubs is common, so don't be surprised when you see it.

I bought mostly pantry items today. But, I did buy one big-ole' (Texas unit of measurement) russet potato, that is destined to be baked to 210F internal temperature, opened up, and smothered with chili, cheese and green onions.

CD

1. "Walking distance" means something much different to many Americans than it does to many Britons. A half-mile would be stretching it, as anything more than a city block is considered applicable for a car. :)

I can recount multiple occasions where we'd be in a village we didn't know, as for directions, and someone would invariably say, "Oh, it's just there, <point in some general direction> well within walking distance, just turn left at the street just there."

We'd turn left at the street "just there" and walk a bit...and a bit more...and a bit more...and finally come upon a sign that would say what we were looking for was another two miles along.

2. Dogs and pubs go together like nobody's business. Nothing lightens my heart more than to walk into a pub, look around, and see dogs piled here and there, snoozing while their owners have a drink and a snack.

Probably the number one complaint my wife hears from (American) clients returning from England is "They let dogs in the bars! Disgusting!" - even though she tells every last person traveling there that dogs in pubs is common, so don't be surprised when you see it.
That particular micropub is on a very busy main road with no parking signs everywhere and fines if you park in someone else's car park. The side turns are often blocked so you can't turn into them, and the ones that aren't are often residents only,
Most of the pubs round here will not let you take dogs in, although some allow them in the garden - OK if the weather is nice, but not otherwise.
The only bar that Tippy has been allowed in without question is the one at the local greyhound racing stadium.

The only bar that Tippy has been allowed in without question is the one at the local greyhound racing stadium.
When we were in Cheltenham last year, just about every pub we went into had dogs. I can't remember the name of the village, but one pub, on their outdoor chalkboard, had written, "Dogs with well-behaved owners allowed." I loved that.

By far the best, though, was the the pub in Kineton, where we went for Sunday lunch, and they'd happened to have an early-morning group dog walk that started at the pub before Sunday lunch, so just as we were being seated, all the dogs came back.

There must have been a dozen or 15 dogs in the pub, and the owner's dog. One (Paul), a big old retriever, managed to sneak up under our table. I felt something, looked down, and right between my legs was his big goofy noggin staring right back, like it was the most natural thing in the world.

Best. Day. Ever!

Another good one, we were in Ireland, near Westport, and we stopped for a noontime tipple, no one was in the pub, and the kid working the bar came out to talk to us at our table, and brought his big beautiful white dog, maybe a Pyrenees, named Arthur.

Arthur loved to trot down to the nearby stream and bring us rocks. Off he'd go, come back with a rock, drop it, we'd pet him, he'd lie down and chew the rock, then off he'd go and get another one. Loved that dog, even if I knew him for less than an hour.

I have noticed however that as soon as you mention (or they see) a greyhound they will let you in if they are not too busy in spite of the "no dogs allowed" notice but pubs round here are rarely not busy (there are upwards of 250,000 people in this area, and not many pubs - even the 3 estates in the tiny area where I live have more residents than some whole towns in other parts of the UK). Some of the shops that don't normally allow dogs are like that too, I think a lot of older people in this area have a soft spot for greyhounds because of the local dog track. I did go to pub once to get a takeaway and they got one of the younger staff members to hang on to Tippy while I went inside. They did originally tell me just to leave him in their garden and lock the gate, but the fences were only 3 ft high and he would have been off like a shot.

Like I mentioned before, the idea of dogs/cats/pets in a restaurant is so foreign to a lot of Americans, so you can bet I got a good laugh several years ago here when I walked into a restaurant to pick up a takeaway order, and while I was waiting on the owner to bring my food out, his kid opened the kitchen door and two little dogs, little terriers came bounding out

The owner looked at me with his eyes wide opened and began to apologize profusely, and sort of acted like the dogs weren't his family's pets, but I laughed it off and said, "Don't worry about it. I have a dog at home, and she's always in my kitchen. No problem!"

Shrimp wild caught from Florida.
Sea scallops from New England.
2 green bell peppers.
Package of okra
Fontina cheese
Grey sole fillets

Failed to find Andouille sausage, but I've not given up yet. I'll be shopping again Friday, after vehicle service, and should find at least that. Unfortunately the one shop I was at today simply seems to have replaced practically the entire meat section with.... turkey. After turkey. After turkey.

1: Until the past few years, I LOVED waking distance to be as the Brits said. I walked forever to see things in Scotland the last time I was there. Yes, just over there... And, a lot further! Which was fun and great exercise, and I saw more things that otherwise I'd have missed! Alas, after that knee tumor (benign) and surgery as well as a broken ankle mended with a plate and pins, my leg unfortunately isn't as copasetic about this as I'd like it to be!!! TBH, people in rural America also have the same distance-sense, too.

2: I'm fine with dogs all over and in pubs, restaurants and homes. I just can't deal with the ill-mannered ones that need to leap up upon my (knee-weakend) body to tell me they "luv" me. Of course, that's probably more the owner than the dog, in most cases.

Shrimp wild caught from Florida.
Sea scallops from New England.
2 green bell peppers.
Package of okra
Fontina cheese
Grey sole fillets

Failed to find Andouille sausage, but I've not given up yet. I'll be shopping again Friday, after vehicle service, and should find at least that. Unfortunately the one shop I was at today simply seems to have replaced practically the entire meat section with.... turkey. After turkey. After turkey.

There is a brand of smoked sausage called Raggin Cajun that I've used in the past before we started making our own andouille. It is usually found with the Hillshire Keilbasa.

Zataran's also sells a packaged Andouille sausage - I can't vouch for its"authenticity" as I don't have a lot of experience using Andouille. I used it for gumbo and liked the flavor. It is also in the smoked sausage section with Hillshire brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom