What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 34964
View attachment 29571
Wife always stops by the Underwood’s family farm and picks up their fresh picked, naturally sweet and buttery corn.
You fill your bag right off the harvesters bin. They harvest year round. Someplace on the property corn is always growing.

I boiled some pre-frozen store bought corn last night it was bland and soggy. A reminder how good fresh picked is.

So I’m headed back to Underwood’s farm this morning to reset our bad corn episode.

Shuck the corn.
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
Mix in 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 stick butter until it dissolves.
Add corn and when it re-reaches (is that a word?) boil shut off the heat and let it set for 10 minutes.
Oh brother what a treat.
Corn straight from the farm is a real treat. What surprised me is that my wife's mom just brought us some corn from a farm - this is late November, in a cold weather state - and it's still very good. Not quite the same as September corn, but still worth eating.

Like I mentioned before, the idea of dogs/cats/pets in a restaurant is so foreign to a lot of Americans, so you can bet I got a good laugh several years ago here when I walked into a restaurant to pick up a takeaway order, and while I was waiting on the owner to bring my food out, his kid opened the kitchen door and two little dogs, little terriers came bounding out

The owner looked at me with his eyes wide opened and began to apologize profusely, and sort of acted like the dogs weren't his family's pets, but I laughed it off and said, "Don't worry about it. I have a dog at home, and she's always in my kitchen. No problem!"
The only place here where it is actually illegal to have a dog is in a food preparation area, but most restaurant, pub and shop managers still won't let them in. There have been several instances where they won't let guide dogs in either (although they are exempt), and there was one hell of a fuss when our local supermarket ejected an ex-serviceman with his PTSD dog.

The only place here where it is actually illegal to have a dog is in a food preparation area, but most restaurant, pub and shop managers still won't let them in. There have been several instances where they won't let guide dogs in either (although they are exempt), and there was one hell of a fuss when our local supermarket ejected an ex-serviceman with his PTSD dog.
I'm pretty certain every cafe or restaurant we went into in Paris had a poodle or two, in the restaurant. Didn't bother me.

Russ

I'm pretty certain every cafe or restaurant we went into in Paris had a poodle or two, in the restaurant. Didn't bother me.

Russ
Doesn't bother me either, unless they are covered in mud or wet and shaking themselves everywhere. I've only ever once complained about dogs being in a restaurant kitchen because when the waitress came out with our food the dogs followed her and she was stroking them - dog fur flying everywhere.

Doesn't bother me either, unless they are covered in mud or wet and shaking themselves everywhere. I've only ever once complained about dogs being in a restaurant kitchen because when the waitress came out with our food the dogs followed her and she was stroking them - dog fur flying everywhere.

You may be concerned if the dog(s) were in a Chinese restaurant's kitchen. I know that I was.

[Edit: In China]

We got a fresh turkey and a whole duck today, as well as 5 different greens for a gumbo z'herbes, besides the usual grocery stuff. I'm going to make turducken roulade with the thighs of each bird. Craig will smoke one of the turkey breast halves, I'll roast the other. The turkey legs and wings will be used for stock and pug treats. I'll let the duck defrost just enough to break it down and refreeze the breasts, and confit the other parts for cassoulet later on.

We got a fresh turkey and a whole duck today, as well as 5 different greens for a gumbo z'herbes, besides the usual grocery stuff. I'm going to make turducken roulade with the thighs of each bird. Craig will smoke one of the turkey breast halves, I'll roast the other. The turkey legs and wings will be used for stock and pug treats. I'll let the duck defrost just enough to break it down and refreeze the breasts, and confit the other parts for cassoulet later on.
Looking forward to pics please.

Russ

Confit duck ❤️

You may be concerned if the dog(s) were in a Chinese restaurant's kitchen. I know that I was.

[Edit: In China]
We once bought a takeaway from a local Chinese restaurant. The beef curry looked strange. I gave it to the GSD I had at the time, and she wouldn't eat it. The restaurant was closed when Food Standards found a GSD their freezer. On another occasion, a friend and his fiancée went to a Chinese for dinner. She choked on a bone and had to be rushed to hospital. The surgeon said it was a cat bone.

We once bought a takeaway from a local Chinese restaurant. The beef curry looked strange. I gave it to the GSD I had at the time, and she wouldn't eat it. The restaurant was closed when Food Standards found a GSD their freezer. On another occasion, a friend and his fiancée went to a Chinese for dinner. She choked on a bone and had to be rushed to hospital. The surgeon said it was a cat bone.

And that's in UK!

Imagine what happens in China!

And that's in UK!

Imagine what happens in China!
The problem is that the Chinese will eat anything that grows. I have eaten horsemeat in Germany and the only time I had meat in the village in Greece the donkey had disappeared. I drew the line at bat meat which a work colleague gave me to try. You can buy all sorts of strange things online in the UK that we wouldn't normally eat, so there must be a market for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom