What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason I mentioned it was 'cos I was being curious (nosey) and looked it up. bickfords-diet-lemon-cordial. The bottle seems to be the same and contents are listed as:

Water, 25% Lemon Juice (From Concentrate), Food Acids (Citric, Sodium Citrate), Natural Flavour, Intense Sweetener (951), Pectin Gum, Preservative (223).

I thought 951 was aspartame but maybe not.
I'm wondering if the site is out of date? They did do a lite version that they discontinued about 6 months ago. The blue label (strip of blue) is the diet version.
This is the back of the label, again very clearly stating no artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners.

(Sorry regarding size! )

I'm wondering if the site is out of date? They did do a lite version that they discontinued about 6 months ago. The blue label (strip of blue) is the diet version.
This is the back of the label, again very clearly stating no artificial colours, flavours or sweeteners.

(Sorry regarding size! )

View attachment 37365
\
Yeah - they must have changed the formula.

\
Yeah - they must have changed the formula.
I have finally tracked down what has happened... A case of spot the difference.

Bickford's (.net) s site shows the old lite version along with its ingredients...
(Note pale blue stripe)

And ingredients

Now Woolies website (and many others). A photoshopped image.

The Woolies information screen...
Wrong calories, correct ingredients, wrong no added information... photoshopped new ingredients list only onto old image!
Also new version doesn't contain phenylalanine either! (Light blue line can clearly be seen where it should be dark blue! )

A case of bad photoshopping and laziness!

From my Western Food supplier today I bought two of his new Aussie aged beef burgers (for assessment), six of his unsweetened burger buns and a re-stock of horseshoe gammon steaks. I shall try the former produce tomorrow.

Yesterday, I bought Muenster cheese, sirloin steak, sea scallops, frozen spinach. Oh, and rum. From the 20-minute away small grocers.

Well, the rum came from the liquor store just down the road from that.

The scallops and spinach are for a food challenge I'm involved in with FB. The sirloin hit the sous vide for last night's dinner. The cheese is multi-purpose.

I don't know why its so fascinating to read other people's shopping lists - but to me it is. I once created a found poem from discarded shopping lists in supermarket trolleys.

What is 'Sandwich Pal'?
I love poetry, so I think that's cool! :)

Sandwich Pal is a locally-made line of condiments; different mustards, flavored mayos, etc. I was looking for the their "sandwich dressing," which is a lot like McD's Big Mac sauce (1000 Island dressing). I'm going to use it for dip with some corned beef wontons I'm making.

Last edited:
All of that cost $130US.

Don't know if I'm getting this right but these prices seem very high compared to here. I'd have to spend time doing a like for like comparison but I'm sure that the first shop would be half that price here -say $65. Fascinating. If I have time tomorrow I'll attempt some sort of comparison.

Don't know if I'm getting this right but these prices seem very high compared to here. I'd have to spend time doing a like for like comparison but I'm sure that the first shop would be half that price here -say $65. Fascinating. If I have time tomorrow I'll attempt some sort of comparison.
I think what always amazes me is the gourmet shop. One picture contains it all, and it's half the price as the mainstream shop. Had I bought everything at the gourmet shop, $190 total would have easily been $275.

Let me know if you want the individual prices of anything. I pretty much have them memorized. :)

I note you are buying herbs, do you not grow your own? I have most of those herbs within 20 paces. Wife picked two big bunches parsley and left to dry in her shed, I use a lot of parsley.

Russ
I do some, but not in Winter. Everything's dead right now.

Also, I hate gardening more than most things, and a small herb garden is about all I'm willing to manage, and some years, I won't even do that.

I do some, but not in Winter. Everything's dead right now.

Also, I hate gardening more than most things, and a small herb garden is about all I'm willing to manage, and some years, I won't even do that.

I have parsley, thyme, oregano and sage all year round, basil and coriander 6 months a year and I freeze when I have excess. We do get snow and frosts here.

Russ

I have parsley, thyme, oregano and sage all year round, basil and coriander 6 months a year and I freeze when I have excess. We do get snow and frosts here.

Russ
It's not a question of weather per se, but the extra effort. As I said, I hate any kind of gardening. I'd rather get a pineapple up the backside wrong way round than tend a garden, even a simple herb garden. I generally plant it out in the Spring, then let Nature take its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom