What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not selling something but, canvassing grocery store parking lots asking you to sign petitions whether they are for dialysis treatment for the financially strapped or a get out of jail card because the crime wasn't violent. While either / or may have valid points and worth considering - Don't approach me between parked cars and essentially block me in while you go on about your petition. Uh no. I am not signing my name to anything when you approach me in a parking lot... 😡🤔

Off in the nearest city with some supermarkets and grocery stores... yes, up here while there aren't GS folk to avoid (yet)...

A fellow in his late 20's (I am guessing) came approaching me with some sad sob story about not being able to get into his car - he'd locked his keys in - could I lend him some money so that he could get someone to help him?

This didn't seem right, so I said no, politely. (I have to admit I began to second-guess myself, just a little, once I was IN the grocery... was I some kind of meanie???)

Two weeks later, the very same guy approached me, all the way across town, at a different grocery, with the exact same sob story... NO!

Off in the nearest city with some supermarkets and grocery stores... yes, up here while there aren't GS folk to avoid (yet)...

A fellow in his late 20's (I am guessing) came approaching me with some sad sob story about not being able to get into his car - he'd locked his keys in - could I lend him some money so that he could get someone to help him?

This didn't seem right, so I said no, politely.

Two weeks later, the very same guy approached me, all the way across town, at a different grocery, with the exact same sob story... NO!
We do get those a lot. The last one was at my house, believe it or not.

It was a day I was going into work, so I had the garage light on and the garage door up at about 6AM, so the dog could go in and out, still dark outside.

Maybe 6:30AM or so, a car pulled up. Now, one of my all-time most hated things in all the universe is unannounced visitors, even more so outside proper hours, so I went storming out of the house, and as the guy was getting out of his car, I shouted, "Get back in your car!" I think he got the idea my dog would kill him, because she was barking her noggin off.

As I got closer, I could see he was probably in his early 20's very scruffy, gave the appearance of a long-time drug addict (we have a huge problem with meth and opioids here), and that he had a young woman of similar age and appearance curled up in the passenger seat, with a blanket over her.

"I'm, I'm a...I'm real sorry, sir, but ah...I'm, my girlfriend is real sick, and um...er, I'm taking her to the emergency room and I think I'm going to um...ah...run out of gas and I was hoping to get $5...or even just a couple bucks for gas. She's real sick, sir..."

I should explain that where I live is two miles off the main road, and to get to my house, you've got to drive past about 30 houses. Was he going from house to house? :wink:

So I pointed to one of the house on my little road that he'd just driven by, and I said, "C'mon, that's my neighbor Dave, he's a state highway patrolman <all true>, he'll either get you to the hospital faster than anyone else or call you an ambulance, if it's that serious. I'll introduce you."

"Oh no, no that's ok! I don't want to be any bother to anybody!"

He couldn't get his skinny ass in that car and out of my driveway fast enough! :laugh:

Man I can't believe the stories you guys tell, but I believe you. Man the parents are so pushy. Here people are pretty laid back and when girl guides sell theirs they put signs up on main roads advertising here this Saturday. Get your cookies here. We always stop and buy a box, they last for months. The only time we get any pressure is people at the entrance to supermarkets, maybe a table with info on deafness or similar. They don't ask you, you just go up,and make a donation.
We only strike that say once a month. We have a large chain of hardware stores called Bunnings, SatNavSaysStraightOn has them as well. Groups can sell sausages in bread with tomato sauce from a store supplied kiosk and BBQ. They normally have a few lining up to buy them. They are yummy. Your group of scouts or cycle club can book a Saturday to fundraiser.

Russ

This didn't seem right, so I said no, politely. (I have to admit I began to second-guess myself, just a little, once I was IN the grocery... was I some kind of meanie???)

That's quite the story. And I feel you about second guessing / meanie. There have been times I have felt the same way but, asking for money to get a car unlocked - that's a lot to ask of a stranger. It's satisfying to hear your second guessing was put to rest when he approached you a second time across town.

Here's what gets me, though: people absolutely lose their minds when GS Thin Mints arrive. It's like the hardest of hard drugs in cookie form. People will eat an entire box at a time. Songs have been written about them, TV shows talk about them. People buy hundreds of them and freeze them to have year-round. Thin Mints!!! OMG!!! THIN MINTS!!! :hyper:

Here's the thing: Keebler Grasshoppers, available all year long. You can get them at Kroger, Walmart, Target, the local filling station. $2 for a 10oz box.

Thin Mints, you've got about a four-week window. They're $5 for a 9oz box. You have to seek them out.

It's the "charity" factor, although no Girl Scout or Girl Scout mom has ever explained what the girl scouts actually do.

I know it sounds mean, but being self-employed most of my like, I try to teach kids realistic lessons about life. Nobody is going to pay an adult five bucks in front of a store for cookies that sells a bigger box of cookies inside for half the price.

But, my real issue is I don't like being guilted into buying something. Make your pitch to a potential , accept yes or no, and move on to the next potential customer.

By the way, a few years ago I was in NYC during a major heat wave, and teenage boys with coolers in wagons were selling ice cold bottles of water to motorists caught in rush hour traffic for twice what they paid for them. Right product, right place, right time. They were working hard and sweating hard -- they earned every penny.

CD

Bought:

Fresh mint
Fresh dill
1 bundle flat-leafed parsley
3 lemons
3 yellow onions
1 avocado
1 package of 5 organic free-range chicken drumsticks
Pecorino cheese
Feta cheese
Fontina cheese
1 of the smallest bottles of whole milk I could find. I don't drink milk but I'm making a recipe that calls for béchamel.
1 package Romaine lettuce
1 package frozen chopped spinach
1 package frozen "riced" cauliflower with a few added veggies
1 gloriously purple eggplant/aubergine
And a few non-food items necessary here.

Only the chicken and the riced cauliflower were impulse buys.

Also bought at another store:

Dried crickets. These are chicken treats. (While I do want to try insects some day, these things stink like the devil.)
Call of the Wild cat food.

Arriving tonight from Amazon: dried chickpeas. You can't find dried ones in local supermarkets.

This was given to me by a friend today. Any ideas?

If I add a black pepper sauce to beef or pork I usually use yoghurt (or Campbell's mushroom soup), Worcestershire sauce and cracked peppercorns.

This was given to me by a friend today. Any ideas?

If I add a black pepper sauce to beef or pork I usually use yoghurt (or Campbell's mushroom soup), Worcestershire sauce and cracked peppercorns.

I can imagine using that to flavor a rich, creamy sauce -- like a peppercorn sauce for steak. It might also be good in a brazing liquid. Undiluted, I have a feeling it would be overpowering.

Play with it. See what happens -- and let us know.

CD

I can imagine using that to flavor a rich, creamy sauce -- like a peppercorn sauce for steak. It might also be good in a brazing liquid. Undiluted, I have a feeling it would be overpowering.

Play with it. See what happens -- and let us know.

CD

I haven't opened it yet. I'll probably try it with roast or fried chicken (cheapest meat here) but I'll give it a little finger lick first to assess the strength.

It's available on Amazon.

I haven't opened it yet. I'll probably try it with roast or fried chicken (cheapest meat here) but I'll give it a little finger lick first to assess the strength.

It's available on Amazon.

Oh yes, you always have to do the finger-lick test first. :okay:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom