What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, there were some that were around $14-15 for 5, but they were listed as grade B. The ones that were listed as grade A were $21 and up. It was also a Prime product, which means shipping costs are factored in.

It was actually broken up dried leaves.

Oh, OK. Then you have dried methi. If you can grow or get the fresh then it is wonderful. The seeds are too.

Today wife returned from the market with, amongst other items, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, holy basil leaves and yardlong beans for Saturday's cook-a-long. I'll capture an image tomorrow - the cost was Bht 15.00 (35 pence).

grass s.jpg

Was this ground fenugreek? I tend to use whole seeds, dry roast and grind them. If you can get the whole seeds then grow some - you will get methi leaves which are a fabulous ingredient.

I never bother grinding the seeds, just chuck them in whole. They dissolve in no time.

fenugreek.jpg

Didn't know that - they are a very hard seed to grind by hand so I assumed they wouldn't disintegrate.

I've been putting them in curries for 40 years. I used to crush them but now I don't bother. I've not found an undissolved one yet. I add them with about ten minutes of cooking time left.

I've heard the leaves called by both names but I've not heard the seeds called methi.

I've heard the leaves called by both names but I've not heard the seeds called methi.

I think both leaves and seeds are called methi in India (with variations according to different Indian languages). The seeds are known as methi dana. Not sure about the leaves.

The dried leaves that I have were hand carried from Bombay (Mumbai).

fenugreekleaves.jpg

The seeds we can buy locally....

spices s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom