What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here they won't include booze in a curbside order. I can't even see booze in the app. Yes Kroger had a liquor department but I would have to go inside.
You aren't really much of a drinker anyway, right?

There was a liquor store down the road (people up here call them "state" stores) that was doing curbside service for awhile, but a few weeks ago I called them to place an order and the young woman who answered told me they didn't have time to do curbside service anymore. i explained that it was going to be about a $200 order but wasn't a lot of booze and would be easy to throw together since it was only a total of 6 very large bottles. I said that I knew that Giant Eagle would do it for me, but I had been a customer for over 15 years at their store and would rather give them my business than the large corporate grocery store (even though the state controls and regulates the booze, they are sort of franchised and each operation makes a profit from running them). I asked her if I should just go to Giant Eagle, and she said, "Yup," and hung up on me. I thought about calling back and telling her boss how she handled that, but I just quit going there. I am not going inside of their store and if they don't want my business that's fine. Even though it was about $200 it wasn't a lot of stuff, just a total of 6 bottles (1.75 liters each) of Bacardi, Crown Royal, and Buckeye Vodka). Pretty much ticked me off, that was an awful way for her to handle it. We spent about $2,500 a year there.

Kroger liquor store story - went to Kroger, grabbed a small cart to pick up a few things and 3 bottles of vodka. Liquor store is a structure inside the store with its own doors that you can't take a cart in. Went in liquor store grabbed the booze and paid for it (you have to pay for it in the liquor store)- they brown bag it with the receipt stapled on the outside. Left the liquor section, put the bagged booze in the cart and started to grocery shop. Before I put any groceries in my cart, I became aggravated about some inconsequential issue and just decided to leave with no further purchases.

Because I had three bottles in one paper bag, I decidded to take the cart out to the car so I didn't drop the bottles. I wheeled thru the express checkout area not stopping because I had nothing to checkout as the booze had already been paid for. Got to the entrance of the store where they corral all the carts and about half way thru that area my cart comes to a screeching halt. I pushed, pulled every which way I could and the cart wouldn't budge.

All of a sudden an employee comes running out the door with a laser like gun ( not lethal type gun - grocery bar code gun). She goes on to tell me that because I pushed a cart thru express checkout without stopping, the "system" knew it and wouldn't let the cart leave the store. She took her gun, bent over and pointed it at the metal support just above the right wheel and shot the laser.. Bingo Bangor - the wheels released and I was out the door with my cart.

Have to say, that one threw me for a loop :laugh::giggle:

Hey, at least there weren't sirens screaming, "Whooop. Whoooop."

So Friday I bought a whole beef tenderloin in cryovac for $9.99 a lb., along with a box of tissues and a package of bacon. I live in Ohio beef country, where the grass and corn are lush and nourishing. We have some of the fattest, best beef I have ever tasted. Ironically, the tenderloin I bought was grass fed beef from Australia! I have had good luck with it in the past. This afternoon I trimmed it into steaks, threw away most of the fat and all of the silverskin membrane, but kept just enough fat with the scrap to turn it into hamburger meat, which I am getting ready to pulse in my food processor shortly--it's been in the freezer for about 20 minutes. We will have ground filet mignon burgers with bacon for dinner tomorrow night.

Edited for photos:

Steaks marinating in a soy based marinade and seasonings

Scraps for burgers
Ground tenderloin

I ended up with 5 packages of 6-8 oz. steaks (2 steaks per bag) and 2 packages of ground tenderloin (about 8 oz. each bag)

Last edited:
Do they go stale? I've had the same packs for years as I don't use either very often. Last time I used the baking soda it was definitely fine.
I don't know about cornstarch, but baking soda and baking powder cans definitely lose their leavening power over time.

I don't know really. I just put fresh in every year or so if I still have some left in the same box.

Do they go stale? I've had the same packs for years as I don't use either very often. Last time I used the baking soda it was definitely fine.

Right. But when I need something for a recipe it's a 911 as far as I am concerned. Like the dark rum for the banana ice cream.

I would definitely speak to the manager of the store. If I were the manager I would want to be alerted to that kind of rudeness.

You aren't really much of a drinker anyway, right?

Yeah, I left a message on their Facebook page. That way he/she is certain to see it. If I call there's a chance they won't be in or available.

Carrots
Courgette
Honey tomatoes
Corn on the cob
Brussels sprouts
Pumpkin
Oranges
Limes
Fresh chives
Fresh dill
Salmon fillet
Beef mince
Chicken breast
Turkey bacon
Butter
Eggs
Milk
Yoghurt
Medium aged gouda
Buffalo mozzarella
Goat's cheese rounds
Whole wheat pita's
Whole wheat bread
Apple vinegar
Canned tuna
Condensed milk
Cooking chocolate
Marshmallows
Self raising flour
Black pepper mill
Ben & jerry's cherry garcia
Frozen french fries (kids)

Carrots
Courgette
Honey tomatoes
Corn on the cob
Brussels sprouts
Pumpkin
Oranges
Limes
Fresh chives
Fresh dill
Salmon fillet
Beef mince
Chicken breast
Turkey bacon
Butter
Eggs
Milk
Yoghurt
Medium aged gouda
Buffalo mozzarella
Goat's cheese rounds
Whole wheat pita's
Whole wheat bread
Apple vinegar
Canned tuna
Condensed milk
Cooking chocolate
Marshmallows
Self raising flour
Black pepper mill
Ben & jerry's cherry garcia
Frozen french fries (kids)
Those kids sure do eat a lot!

Those kids sure do eat a lot!

We have a whole load of stock at home. If I only mention one thing is bought for them, it means we still have plenty in the freezer and cupboard.

They only eat frozen fries, mashed potato with cheese & spinach, hotdogs, pancakes, chicken nuggets and pizza. Aside from that during the day they eat bread with chocolate paste, peanut butter, spreadable cheese or sausage. Don't blame me, I am their stepmom and only got into their lives when they were 16 and 18. They never learned to eat properly, and now due to their autism it's near impossible to get them to eat anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom