What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
20190427_181416.jpg

Parm R, 1/8 wheel at $9.20 a pound from the restaurant supply place, almost 11 pounds.

Head on Georgia freshies wild caught shrimp for BBQ shrimp and biscuits tonight.

We were at the local harvest festival at the weekend and picked up a few items new to us.

Braggot was the first. One we'd not come across before. I'll let the labels do the talking.

DSC_4258.JPG
DSC_4260.JPG

Then there was a really unusual jam
_20190430_211609.JPG

Apparently it wasn't just our apricot tree that had a really good year this year .

And finally an 80th birthday present that we'llbe taking back into the UK in the near future. A totally Australian whisky. Thankfully they spell it the correct way!

_20190430_211641.JPG

We also came back with some really old fashioned squashes, a whole load of seeds for the veg plot and some yarn for me to knit socks with and then this using plant matter (onion skins give great colours as do avocado skins and seeds.).

Never heard of braggot before. I gather its beer fermented with honey. Is it very sweet?

View attachment 24028

That is seriously strong. In fact its stronger than the wine I normally drink.
No this isn't sweet, but that one (my preferred one) is strong. It's quite common now for ales to be that strong .you have to be very careful. It's why I don't normally drink at all or if I do, it's a no driving policy with a no ifs, no buts, no questions policy.

It's more ale brewed with a touch of honey/mead in taste. I didn't try the mead itself. I know from other times and other tastings many moon's ago down in Taunton, Somerset somewhere there's a bee farm or honey museum ... Mead was very popular around that area. It was too sweet even then for me .

Are they a species of spider crab?

Yes, spider crab. Absolutely delish. They are much sought after in the Channel Islands.
I asked on a local Facebook group who preferred spider crab to chancre (brown edible crab same as Cromer crab) out of over a 100 replies all but one said spider crab. They winter in deep water and move inshore in May. They are good to catch from May to June but they go 'black' shortly after that. They then moult and move into deeper water again.
You can put crab pots down, use a mask and snorkel to dive for them or use crab wheels which is what I do. You take an old bike wheel, cut out all the spokes and attach a net to it. You then put wire across the diameter of the wheel to hold the bait and attach a cord/rope so that you can retrieve the wheel while keeping the wheel horizontal. Leave it down for 15 minutes and bingo.

Yes, spider crab. Absolutely delish. They are much sought after in the Channel Islands.
I asked on a local Facebook group who preferred spider crab to chancre (brown edible crab same as Cromer crab) out of over a 100 replies all but one said spider crab.

I've never tasted them. I love crab so I'm sure I'd like them. Its not very possible to find them here. Whitstable (nearest fish port) doesn't get them - I think they are more commonly found in South West England.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom