What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you would like Indian cooking. They use lentils for great dishes. I love a chana dhal curry.

Russ
I am a bit at a loss @rascal. I was thinking you may have misspelled "dhal". I thought it should be "dahl". So I googled it. To my surprise, everyone spells it "dal". I am almost positive there was an "h" in the word somewhere when I first started shopping at Indian grocery stores a few years ago. So what happened to the "h"?

I am a bit at a loss @rascal. I was thinking you may have misspelled "dhal". I thought it should be "dahl". So I googled it. To my surprise, everyone spells it "dal". I am almost positive there was an "h" in the word somewhere when I first started shopping at Indian grocery stores a few years ago. So what happened to the "h"?

H is still used here, dhal

Russ

Wife's away but she left me frozen stuff if I don't feel like cooking. Last night I had a look in the freezer, some butter chicken, store bought. We've had these before. Small serve but cheap, so I had two together. $3 each so dinner was $6 and really really nice.

Russ

I've always spelt it dhal. But the spelling can vary as its a phonetic translation so dal, daal, dail, dhal or dahl are all 'correct':

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 10.04.00.png

Not today, but yesterday, driving back from Connecticut to Massachusetts:

The roadside stand just outside of Bantam, CT, was open, I think only a week since the season started. I picked up:

Pastured, home grown chicken wings (5) frozen in a pack.
A half pint or so of grape tomatoes, various heirloom types (they do these in a greenhouse)
A bunch of asparagus.

The wings got devoured for dinner last night, and I used three asparagi (???) spears in my breakfast omelet, with other ingredients.

e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.jpg

img_0754.jpg

Wife always stops by the Underwood’s family farm and picks up their fresh picked, naturally sweet and buttery corn.
You fill your bag right off the harvesters bin. They harvest year round. Someplace on the property corn is always growing.

I boiled some pre-frozen store bought corn last night it was bland and soggy. A reminder how good fresh picked is.

So I’m headed back to Underwood’s farm this morning to reset our bad corn episode.

Shuck the corn.
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
Mix in 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 stick butter until it dissolves.
Add corn and when it re-reaches (is that a word?) boil shut off the heat and let it set for 10 minutes.
Oh brother what a treat.

Last edited:
uv

View attachment 29571
Wife always stops by the Underwood’s family farm and picks up their fresh picked, naturally sweet and buttery corn.
You fill your bag right off the harvesters bin. They harvest year round. Someplace on the property corn is always growing.

I boiled some pre-frozen store bought corn last night it was bland and soggy. A reminder how good fresh picked is.

So I’m headed back to Underwood’s farm this morning to reset our bad corn episode.

Shuck the corn.
Bring a pot of water to a boil.
Mix in 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 stick butter until it dissolves.
Add corn and when it re-reaches (is that a word?) boil shut off the heat and let it set for 10 minutes.
Oh brother what a treat.

I find zapping in the microwave the best way. Works for me.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom