What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can freeze buttermilk in ice cube trays quite well. I discovered this after getting tired of throwing it away because it went bad before I discovered the powdered buttermilk that keeps forever in the refrigerator.

More of an 'arrived today' buy parental delivery company via Singapore Airlines, Manchester to Sydney...

I didn't check the size when my mum sent me the link. I just checked she had the right product. I was after 3 boxes of the slightly larger size (4oz instead of 2oz) of Coleman's Mustard Powder. I used to be able to buy it in the supermarket in the international isle. Now they only sell the pre-made stuff in tiny jars for lots of money. I've used the powder version all my life. It's great, but each of these is 1LB in weight! I had expected her to but 3 packets in Waitrose when she bought me the jars of instant coffee that i miss (I'm happy with Nescafe but hubby can't drink it, it upsets his stomach). The other options here have failed to impress me and so far we've only found one coffee bean I like, and it's only really a just like. I don't actually like ground coffee! Don't ask, weird I know but... Also coffee beans are $16.50 for 250g or $38 for 1kg. Both are expensive but I have finally introduced my coffee grinder to coffee beans instead of spices all the time... (or the occasional whole bean/pea/dal.

I'll post up the other items tomorrow...

Formaggio del Fieno, 'Hay Cheese' - from Piedmont

I'll try it in a piedmontese risotto that calls for cheese (not this in particular, but it will match perfectly), hazelnuts and a little addition of honey at the end...more later

How do you make it?
There is seriously nowhere near me that I can buy creme fraiche. I substitute Mexican crema, which his readily available here. A recipe/instructions would be nice.

Can you make it is small or large batches pretty easily?

CD

I can't believe you guys have never heard of or done this before. It's so simple. 1 cup heavy cream mixed with 2 Tbsp buttermilk, covered with a clean cloth, then left to sit at room temp for 8-24 hours until you get desired thickness. However, the powdered buttermilk stuff doesn't work, has to be real buttermilk.

It's better to use pasteurized instead of ultrapasturized cream, but it will still work, just takes longer or you might need to add a little more buttermilk. The temp in your house also needs to be above 70, or you can leave it someplace a little warm, like in oven with light on, or in our case, in over the stove microwave that has a light that shines on the stove top.

You can also use lemon juice or sour cream, but proportions are different.

Last edited:
How do you make it?
There is seriously nowhere near me that I can buy creme fraiche. I substitute Mexican crema, which his readily available here. A recipe/instructions would be nice.

Can you make it is small or large batches pretty easily?

CD
Creme fraiche, if I buy it, I can get from only one store, and for a little 4oz tub, it's $7, so that's when I started making it.

medtran49 beat me to it, but here's the link that I found when I started doing this:

Recipe: DIY Crème Fraîche

I used it with my lasagna, a good bit stirred into the sauce to give it some richness.

Creme fraiche, if I buy it, I can get from only one store, and for a little 4oz tub, it's $7, so that's when I started making it.

medtran49 beat me to it, but here's the link that I found when I started doing this:

Recipe: DIY Crème Fraîche

I used it with my lasagna, a good bit stirred into the sauce to give it some richness.

Strangely, in the UK Creme Fraiche has around half the calories of double (heavy) cream - in fact there is also a reduced fat and 0% fat creme fraiche. So I don't understand - clearly the creme fraiche made from heavy cream will have more or less the same calories as the heavy cream.

Here the price for double cream is about the same as for creme fraiche.

Strangely, in the UK Creme Fraiche has around half the calories of double (heavy) cream - in fact there is also a reduced fat and 0% fat creme fraiche. So I don't understand - clearly the creme fraiche made from heavy cream will have more or less the same calories as the heavy cream.

Here the price for double cream is about the same as for creme fraiche.

It's not common here. Our regular grocery stores don't carry it. You have to go to an upscale market like Whole Foods or similar. And, it's much more expensive than heavy cream.

Like CD, we often just substitute crema, which we can get at any market, though I will sometimes make the creme fraiche.

10 years ago, we couldn't get creme fraiche at any store, and if you asked for it, no one would know what it was: "fresh cream...like milk, but cream? Yeah, we have that <hands me a bottle of heavy cream>" 😒

To add to that, the person who first showed me how to make it was a personal chef from Norfolk. She mentioned it in a class we attended that she was teaching, and she had a little tub, and she mentioned it could be hard to find, but it was easy enough to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom