What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shortbread ones are mine, the others are the wife's. She usually also gets some Thin Mints, but she skipped those today. No doubt they'll end up in the house at some point.

They used to sell these big shortbread cookies, with lemon icing on them, that I loved (I think they were called Wagon Wheels), but they were available here for one year only and then disappeared.

Each box costs $5US. This time of year, there are always gangs of Girl Scouts crowding around every storefront and place of business imaginable, plus, anyone at work with a kid in Girl Scouts sells them at work. It's actually a bit annoying at times, because the girls (and their parents) can be rather aggressive with it. I've been cussed at, had my manhood challenged, and threatened with physical violence over the years for not buying cookies. Those Girl Scouts are tough!

We have girl guides biscuits here as well. They are yummy.

Russ

It's That Time Of Year Again

What is 'that time of year'? Something to do with Girl Scouts?
Yep, GS cookies have arrived. They're not unlike a plague of locusts, and if you don't buy some every time you see them out pandering their goods, then you're obviously a misanthrope who hates all things good and wonderful in the world, and will no doubt end up in Hades for all eternity, surrounded by little devilish Girl Scouts who exist only to cram a never-ending stream of cookies down you're gullet (in your case, it would be mayonnaise cookies!) while simultaneously aerating your backside with a hot poker.

It's That Time Of Year Again

What is 'that time of year'? Something to do with Girl Scouts?

Yup! Like TR described, the little scouts crawl out of the wood work, and block the doors at stores and malls. Go door-to-door with their moms. Parents bring the d$&!@! things to work to annoy their coworkers into buying more and more cookies!

If you need a couple things at the grocery, you have to move fast, and avoid eye-contact!!!

CD

Yup! Like TR described, the little scouts crawl out of the wood work, and block the doors at stores and malls. Go door-to-door with their moms. Parents bring the d$&!@! things to work to annoy their coworkers into buying more and more cookies!

If you need a couple things at the grocery, you have to move fast, and avoid eye-contact!!!

CD
Nothing happens like that happens here in the UK. We used to have something called 'bob-a-job week' when scouts would knock on doors and offer to do an odd job for a bob (a shilling in pre-decimal coinage). That seems to have died out completely.

Nothing happens like that happens here in the UK. We used to have something called 'bob-a-job week' when scouts would knock on doors and offer to do an odd job for a bob (a shilling in pre-decimal coinage). That seems to have died out completely.
To give you an idea of what it's like, we were at an outdoor shopping mall yesterday, the kind with a middle pedestrian area where there are storefronts lining each side, maybe some greenery down the middle, along with a shopping kiosk or two (like for phone cases, sunglasses, etc).

About five scouts with two or three adults had set up a table of cookies. Some of the kids had little stop sign paddles, like a crossing guard would have, and they would run out into the crowd, get in front of a family, throw up their paddles and shout, "STOP!!!"

Once they had your attention, they'd say something like, "We're selling Girl Scout cookies today, how many boxes do you want?" - and good luck trying to side-step them or say no thanks.

I was walking up the pavement when I got stopped, and my wife was in a shop, I was just walking around waiting on her. The girl stopped me, and I said, "Yeah, my wife's in the shop there, and she'll probably want some, we'll get them on the way out."

She no doubt thought it was a ruse, because she ran after me, shouting, "Why don't you get them for her yourself? Huh?! Why not?!"

When I got to the end of the walkway and wheeled around to go back and see if my wife was ready, I got stopped again, explained myself again, and I added, "Besides, she's got the cas-"

"WE TAKE CREDIT CARDS!!!"

Really, it comes down to the ultra-competitive parents. They fuel this stuff, the same ones who can't let their kids play sports without getting totally immersed in it. Every cookie season, there are stories about parents of one scout troop getting into fistfights with parents of other scout troops for encroaching on their territory, things like that. It's nuts.

Whether you have them or not, granddaughters are a perfect excuse! "Sorry" we buy them from our granddaughter". Also, "Sorry, I'm trying to quit" works even though that goes over their heads, as well as their parents heads. Similar to cashier at the grocery asking for donations to some charity or another, "I give to charity every week, it is called the IRS".

Whether you have them or not, granddaughters are a perfect excuse! "Sorry" we buy them from our granddaughter". Also, "Sorry, I'm trying to quit" works even though that goes over their heads, as well as their parents heads. Similar to cashier at the grocery asking for donations to some charity or another, "I give to charity every week, it is called the IRS".
A few years ago, outside Kroger, I walked in and was accosted, which I ignored, and on the way out, I was approached again, and without breaking my stride or making eye contact, I said, "Sorry, I already bought mine at the office," which was true.

The kid shouted after me, "You can still buy some here!," and when I kept going, the parent screamed, "YOU DIDN'T BUY ANY AT WORK, YOU MOTHERF-----G LIAR!!!"

:eek:

When we first moved back here, our neighbors used to stop by if we were sitting on the front porch and they were out for a walk. Sometimes, they'd even pull into the driveway for a five-minute chat from the car.

His kid started selling GS cookies, and after I didn't buy any, they stopped talking to us, and even made sure to tell our other neighbor that they didn't want to have anything to do with "people like them" - meaning us. All because we apparently broke their little girl's heart by <GASP!!!> telling her no.

Hmmmm, I just did a little search, and GS cookies do no not come in Sugar Free, Gluten Free, Vegan or Halal. Some good ammo to use on the little brats. :wink::woot:

Sorry, but I'm diabetic. :angelic:

CD
The toffee-tastic ones say they're certified gluten-free, but they're not sold everywhere.

I've also discovered they still make the lemon shortbreads that I like, they just don't sell them in my area, apparently.

Here's what gets me, though: people absolutely lose their minds when GS Thin Mints arrive. It's like the hardest of hard drugs in cookie form. People will eat an entire box at a time. Songs have been written about them, TV shows talk about them. People buy hundreds of them and freeze them to have year-round. Thin Mints!!! OMG!!! THIN MINTS!!! :hyper:

Here's the thing: Keebler Grasshoppers, available all year long. You can get them at Kroger, Walmart, Target, the local filling station. $2 for a 10oz box.

Thin Mints, you've got about a four-week window. They're $5 for a 9oz box. You have to seek them out.

:facepalm:

I guess it's like the McRib at McDonald's. I've yet to meet a single person who likes them, but everyone goes crazy when they make their yearly appearance. I've even had people tell me, "They're not very good, but this is the only time they're available, so I'm getting one." I do that about once every five years, just to make sure I remember how nasty they are. :laugh:

I don't like any of the GS cookies, so we don't buy them. And if a little GS got real pushy about it, I'd say so. But, I don't really like any commercially made cookies either, not even local bakery made ones. Guess I'm a cookie snob.

Not only do we get the GS cookie drive, we get the football, soccer, basketball, etc., etc., teams begging for money at the grocery stores. Some of them are even taking credit/debit cards now. And, some of them can get quite pushy at times. It also seems like it's become okay to just stand there and beg for money as your fund raiser. One time stuck in my mind, there were a bunch of strapping young men/boys standing around asking for money for their team, with several parents acting as chaperones. An older middle-aged woman came out of the store in front of us and was approached. She told the young man/boy (who was bigger than her) that she wouldn't just give him money, but that if he walked with her to her car (and even said take a parent or 2 with us) and unloaded her groceries that she'd give him $20. He turned to 1 of the parents and relayed her offer. I guess they all decided it was okay because I saw the woman, the young man/boy, and 1 of the mothers walking out to her car in the parking lot as I was bringing the cart back. Whatever happened to actually doing something for somebody or, like the GS, selling something when asking them for money?

Last edited:
Not selling something but, canvassing grocery store parking lots asking you to sign petitions whether they are for dialysis treatment for the financially strapped or a get out of jail card because the crime wasn't violent. While either / or may have valid points and worth considering - Don't approach me between parked cars and essentially block me in while you go on about your petition. Uh no. I am not signing my name to anything when you approach me in a parking lot... 😡🤔

I guess it's like the McRib at McDonald's. I've yet to meet a single person who likes them, but everyone goes crazy when they make their yearly appearance. I've even had people tell me, "They're not very good, but this is the only time they're available, so I'm getting one." I do that about once every five years, just to make sure I remember how nasty they are. :laugh:

Actually, back in the 80s when the McRib first turned up - other than the breakfast sausage cheese and egg thing, the McRib was the only food in the place I found remotely edible. Now I wouldn't want it on general principle of it being so "fake", but back then I didn't know to care about such things. (For the past 20 years the only thing McD's has been good for are relatively-clean restrooms when on road trips - and if there's no line I'll pick up a coffee on my way out.)

I don't like any of the GS cookies, so we don't buy them. And if a little GS got real pushy about it, I'd say so. But, I don't really like any commercially made cookies either, not even local bakery made ones. Guess I'm a cookie snob.

Not only do we get the GS cookie drive, we get the football, soccer, basketball, etc., etc., teams begging for money at the grocery stores. Some of them are even taking credit/debit cards now. And, some of them can get quite pushy at times. It also seems like it's become okay to just stand there and beg for money as your fund raiser. One time stuck in my mind, there were a bunch of strapping young men/boys standing around asking for money for their team, with several parents acting as chaperones. An older middle-aged woman came out of the store in front of us and was approached. She told the young man/boy (who was bigger than her) that she wouldn't just give him money, but that if he walked with her to her car (and even said take a parent or 2 with us) and unloaded her groceries that she'd give him $20. He turned to 1 of the parents and relayed her offer. I guess they all decided it was okay because I saw the woman, the young man/boy, and 1 of the mothers walking out to her car in the parking lot as I was bringing the cart back. Whatever happened to actually doing something for somebody or, like the GS, selling something when asking them for money?

As I think i mentioned earlier, whatever they make most commercial cookies with, there's some ingredient that sits on my stomach WRONG. GS cookies are no exception. (The only commercial cookie I can still eat are Walkers Scottish Shortbread - 3 ingredients: flour, butter, sugar.)

I might donate a dollar or two, but if they start getting in my face, or if I see them doing that to others before I get within their range, I simply say NO, firmly, and hopefully can walk away.

Around where I used to live in CT they'd have people from the high school wanting money - but usually they set up outside the grocery store and at least offered food. Or they set up by an empty lot and do car washes. I did support the girls' volleyball team once - because I was once on mine (although we never dunned folk for money).

Knock on wood, I've yet to run into this sort of thing up here on the western side of Massachusetts... KNOCK ON WOOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom