What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I just bought:

Provolone
Baguette
OJ
Apples
Grapes
Bananas
Cherry tomatoes
Potatoes
Onions
Fresh rosemary
Shallots
Mushrooms
Lettuce
Cucumber
Radishes
Flour tortillas
Tomato paste
Ramen noodles
Instant yeast
Chicken thighs
Dog food (lotsa dog food)
Ice cream
Cream cheese
Half-N-Half
Milk
Eggs
Cookie dough (for MrsTasty)
6-pack beer
Sparkling wine (California)

The store was decently stocked, but still very little pasta, no TP or cleaning supplies, meat was a little better, and they had pork shoulders on sale, but I'd just bought a big loin roast last weekend, so I didn't need that.

Also, for the first time, the beer was a bit picked over. I couldn't get a four or six pack of Guinness on its own (I'm making stew this week), I had to get it through the (far) more expensive "build your own" six pack area.

The CDC here just recommended people wear masks when going out in public. I'd say about half the employees were wearing masks, and less than half the shoppers were wearing them.

A funny little thing - despite my youthful appearance in my profile pic, I look like every one of my 53 years, including a nearly completely grey beard.

Tonight, for the first time in the 15 years since I've lived here, I got carded at Kroger. I kind of laughed when the kid carded me, and he said, "We're supposed to card anyone in a mask, because we can't see you."

I showed him my ID, and and cleared my booze. I couldn't help but ask, "So you're able to see through my mask to know that's me in the photo?" :laugh:

Last edited:
Went out for a big grocery shop first time in a month. We needed supplies as my stepsons are coming and we were also running low on some staples.

Restaurant store;
Frozen bell pepper slices
Frozen spinach ( kids)
Tinned mango
Glace cherries
Ghee
Duck rillettes
Peanut butter ( kids)
Chocolate spread ( kids)
Ginger
Mozzarella cheese sticks ( kids)
Powdered soup ( kids)
Coca cola tray of 12 cans
IItalian tipo 00 flour
Amaretti biscuits
Strawberries
Wild salmon
Chicken breast
Eggs
Asparagus
Piemonte lady fingers
Cream pate

Asian superstore
Chicken & bbq pork bao
Pisang goreng
Green lombok chilli
Mi goreng by Indomie noodles
Rice balls stuffed with spicy tuna and spicy shrimp
Sambal badjak
Coconut milk

Last edited:
Went out for a big grocery shop first time in a month. We needed supplies as my stepsons are coming and we were also running low on some staples.

Restaurant store;
Frozen spinach ( kids)
Tinned mango
Glace cherries
Ghee
Duck rillettes
Peanut butter ( kids)
Chocolate spread ( kids)
Ginger
Powdered soup ( kids)
IItalian tipo 00 flour
Amaretti biscuits
Strawberries
Wild salmon
Chicken breast
Eggs
Asparagus
Piemonte lady fingers
Cream pate

Asian superstore
Chicken & bbq pork bao
Pisang goreng
Green lombok chilli
Sambal badjak
Coconut milk
I never heard of Duck rillettes until I read your post. The Google says they can be spread on bread - is that how you use them?

Your shopping list makes me wish I was your dinner guest.

All the best to you and your family.

Restaurant store;
Frozen spinach ( kids)
Tinned mango
Glace cherries
Ghee
Duck rillettes
Peanut butter ( kids)
Chocolate spread ( kids)
Ginger
Powdered soup ( kids)
IItalian tipo 00 flour
Amaretti biscuits
Strawberries
Wild salmon
Chicken breast
Eggs
Asparagus
Piemonte lady fingers
Cream pate

Asian superstore
Chicken & bbq pork bao
Pisang goreng
Green lombok chilli
Sambal badjak
Coconut milk
I love reading others' shopping purchases here. All my stuff seems so mundane in comparison to the folks who live in other countries.

Who knows? Maybe my ketchup and cabbage looks exotic to someone else. :laugh:

I love reading others' shopping purchases here. All my stuff seems so mundane in comparison to the folks who live in other countries.

Can't beat cabbage, I love it. Steamed or cooked in butter with bacon bits, splash mint sauce when served. I could eat a plate of that.

Russ

Made a quick run to my neighborhood market
APF - WOW.
Why? I have no idea. While there I went to the cooler to see what cheese was available. For a small market they have a decent selection of cheeses.
A woman was looking in the cheese cooler. Not at the pre shredded stuff but the better cheese
A light clicked in my head. This is a person who cooks
From a proper distance I started a conversation asking if she liked to cook. She lives alone but loves to experiment with different cuisines.
BINGO!!
Of course I invited her to visit this wonderful forum.
Her name is Connie from Lafayette, La. USA
If any of you spot her please let me know.

This is by no means common food in my country ( except for the Indonesian/ Asian community) , most people don't buy at restaurant stores or spend anywhere near what we spend on food.

It's because I have been a cook and I have a real passion for food, most people here think what I eat is pretty exotic.

I never heard of Duck rillettes until I read your post. The Google says they can be spread on bread - is that how you use them?

Your shopping list makes me wish I was your dinner guest.

All the best to you and your family.

Yes Duck rilettes are a preserve of Duck meat to eat on bread, it's a French food I love. It's not very common here but you can buy it in restaurant stores.

I've yet to come across "duck rillettes" but in France in the early 70s I virtually lived on pork rillettes in baguettes. Loved it.

Now 6¼ cases. I've been rationing myself.

The first death in the next, westward, province. But not from the virus. Admitted to hospital two days ago with severe alcohol withdrawal shock. They're burning him today.

The CDC here just recommended people wear masks when going out in public. I'd say about half the employees were wearing masks, and less than half the shoppers were wearing them.

It is now illegal here to NOT wear a mask outside one's home. Substantial fines and possible porridge.

We're being told that masks should only be worn by frontline medical staff and people who show Covid symptoms.

It's not the doctors here who are making the rules; it's the politicians!

Clarification: Not really politicians but trained (and untrained) soldiers who took over the running of the country a few years ago.

Last edited:
Worse here. They tell us masks are ineffective, but do somehow need them for medical personell. I find that odd.
I did read a plausible reason for this, but I can't remember exactly what it is. From what I have learned from a neighbour who is a frontline paramedic, is that the biggest risk if from hard surfaces, where the virus can live for over 72 hours. I still can't believe we don't have routine cleaning of things like shopping trolley handles. Imaging how many pairs of hands touch one of those in a day before wandering round a supermarket, pickup up stuff and putting it back down again. At our local farmshop, they were only disinfecting the card machine after every other customer, and handling cash without washing hands afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom