What recipes don't translate well without knowledge of regional cooking?

black6host

Local time
12:47 PM
@Lullabelle @Shermie

Want to play a game? Give me a recipe or food to try, that you think a USA southern boy wouldn't like. And, I'll give you one, if someone comes through here with a recipe, lol (see previous post). And we'll play dare you to eat it! I can already tell you haggis is off the menu here, lol. But, only because there is no one I know that can prepare it properly and I wouldn't trust myself to do it. I just don't know the regional influences that can't be expressed in a recipe but still show up in the finished product. Actually, that's a thread all by itself: "What recipes don't translate well without knowledge of regional cooking?" :)

@Lullabelle @Shermie

Want to play a game? Give me a recipe or food to try, that you think a USA southern boy wouldn't like. And, I'll give you one, if someone comes through here with a recipe, lol (see previous post). And we'll play dare you to eat it! I can already tell you haggis is off the menu here, lol. But, only because there is no one I know that can prepare it properly and I wouldn't trust myself to do it. I just don't know the regional influences that can't be expressed in a recipe but still show up in the finished product. Actually, that's a thread all by itself: "What recipes don't translate well without knowledge of regional cooking?" :)

Last year my husband made 'biscuits and gravy' using what we believe was a traditional recipe, not to our taste but definitely worth trying. It is hard to choose something from England because most of our traditional dishes are a mix from other countries, I will definitely give it some thought.

@Lullabelle @Shermie

I know you won't like this as I didn't like it! Huitlacoche (corn smut) Quesadilla.

http://whatscookingmexico.com/2010/10/29/huitlacoche-quesadillas/

Huitlacoche can be ordered online.

We bought frozen from oregonmushrooms.com when we also ordered several other things. The rest of it sat in the deep freeze for months before we finally decided that we weren't going to be able to talk ourselves into using it again and threw it away.

I've always wanted to try it! What is so horrible about it?

For those that don't know:

5115234976_acd237247c.jpg

Huitlacoche is the corn kernels of a diseased corn ear infected by a fungus. The word huitlacoche (also spelled as cuitlacoche sometimes) comes from Nahuatl, the language spoke by the Aztecs and other civilizations of central Mexico. There’s some debate about what the correct meaning of the word is, but some experts say it means excrement of the gods. Appetizing, isn’t it?

Honestly, it's been so long I don't remember, maybe Craig will. However, the comparison to truffles some people make by calling it the Mexican truffle, just no way in that really hot place is there any comparison.

Honestly, it's been so long I don't remember, maybe Craig will. However, the comparison to truffles some people make by calling it the Mexican truffle, just no way in that really hot place is there any comparison.

Managed to find some on-line (in a jar) so I'll report back when I've received them.

Back
Top Bottom