What rice do you use

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:28 PM
Since daughter moved in last year she got me onto jasmine rice. I love the stuff. I used some brown rice but didn't like it all. We ran out of jasmine and we only just got it a week or two ago. I'm having rice with kebabs tonight. I also have arborio for risotto .
Do you have a go to rice?

Russ

Right now I have a big supply of Basmati grown here in SE Texas. Most rice grown in Texas is some form of long grain rice. I like to buy as close to home as I can, when possible.

CD

I use all kinds of rice. I like to make blends or buy rice blends and blend them even further. There are times when I like white rice by itself and brown rice by itself. But my favorite thing with rice is a rich blend of several rice types.

Right now I have a big supply of Basmati grown here in SE Texas. Most rice grown in Texas is some form of long grain rice. I like to buy as close to home as I can, when possible.

CD

I only just found out Texas grew rice. The last place I would have thought of? I think you may have mentioned it lately???

Can't imagine Bali rice fields in Texas ? Bali has amazing fields.

Russ

I only just found out Texas grew rice. The last place I would have thought of? I think you may have mentioned it lately???

Can't imagine Bali rice fields in Texas ? Bali has amazing fields.

Russ

Texas is so large, that it has a little of everything in terms of climate. SE Texas is prime rice growing land, as well as sugar cane. The Rio Grande valley is a big citrus growing area, including their famous Ruby Red Grapefruit. East Texas is dense forest, while West Texas is rocky desert. North Texas is open prairie -- my home is built on what was probably once a cotton field.

CD

Rice is grown in the USA in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas, Louisianan and California.

Rice is grown in the USA in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Texas, Louisianan and California.

Um, Arkansas is the number one rice producer in the US, by a very large margin. Louisiana and California are on par with Texas -- Missouri rounds out the top five. Don't know where you got Minnesota and Wisconsin.

CD

Um, Arkansas is the number one rice producer in the US, by a very large margin. Louisiana and California are on par with Texas -- Missouri rounds out the top five. Don't know where you got Minnesota and Wisconsin.

CD

Minnesota and Wisconisn are well known for rice, especially long grain wild rice.

I currently have generic medium-grain white rice, Arborio rice, some kind of Mahatma blend for fried rice (jasmine and long-grain), and Minnesota wild rice.

We ate rice only one way when I was growing up - rice pudding. That was it. No fried rice, no risotto, no rice in soups or as a side dish, no rice-a-roni, just rice pudding, and it's still my favorite way to have it.

Most of the time, I just make white rice in the rice cooker for a side because my wife likes it, and then I use the leftovers for fried rice or rice pudding the next day.

Oh, I left out rice crispy cereal. We had that. :laugh:

I currently have generic medium-grain white rice, Arborio rice, some kind of Mahatma blend for fried rice (jasmine and long-grain), and Minnesota wild rice.

We ate rice only one way when I was growing up - rice pudding. That was it. No fried rice, no risotto, no rice in soups or as a side dish, no rice-a-roni, just rice pudding, and it's still my favorite way to have it.

Most of the time, I just make white rice in the rice cooker for a side because my wife likes it, and then I use the leftovers for fried rice or rice pudding the next day.

Oh, I left out rice crispy cereal. We had that. :laugh:

I have never gotten into wild rice. I just don't like it. It is a texture thing, I think.

When I use white rice, it is almost always in a gumbo, or with chili, or in some other way covered with something with a strong flavor. I don't think I would be able to tell the difference between a Basmati and a Jasmine rice in a bowl of gumbo.

CD

Texas is so large, that it has a little of everything in terms of climate. SE Texas is prime rice growing land, as well as sugar cane. The Rio Grande valley is a big citrus growing area, including their famous Ruby Red Grapefruit. East Texas is dense forest, while West Texas is rocky desert. North Texas is open prairie -- my home is built on what was probably once a cotton field.

CD

Sugar cane I found weird as well, driving through Queensland cane from eye to eye. It's massive there.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom