What sauce goes well with Eel and Catfish?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
7:59 AM
Just what the title says. Does anybody have recipes for sauces or marinades that go well with either or both of these wonderful meats?

I can find unagi pre-sealed with Japanese style sauce in the grocery. It just needs to be boiled while it's still in the plastic, and it's done instantly, which is very convenient but I'm curious about how to make the Japanese style sauces instead.

I live in Asia, so I'm far more familiar with Asian cooking...yet, I'd like to branch out if there's a special traditional home recipe for those who live out West or someplace and like to have catfish.

I keep hearing about jellied eels, I'm curious about that process too.

I have never eaten eel and I have had catfish. I have never had catfish with any kind of a sauce on it, I can't imagine why anyone would want to have it with a sauce.

I have read that soy sauce based sauces are popular with eel as are sweet and salty. The saltiness of the sauces is a common so it must be something about the eel that requires salty sauces.

I keep hearing about jellied eels, I'm curious about that process too.

Something of a London "delicacy". The eels are boiled and naturally release protein into the cooking liquor which forms a jelly on cooling: you therefore need to eat the result cold.

Eeels though are not an especially sustainable food at the moment in view of massive overfishing.

I know a sauce called 'eel sauce' which is really just sweet teriyaki. I'm afraid I don't have the recipe off the top of my head but it's a wonderful compliment to eel-centered sushi so maybe it could work well with actual eel? I wouldn't know as fish isn't what I'm used to cooking with; I'm always afraid of overcooking or under-cooking it.

Back
Top Bottom