What size and shape wine glass?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
2:32 PM
If you drink wine, do you have a preferred shape and size of glass? Wine tasters recommend particular shapes to maximise the bouquet. I prefer a smaller wine glass - I rather resent the restaurant trend for huge glasses which hold a 3rd of a bottle of wine in one go! Do you have a favourite size and shape?

The heck with the glass, just drink from the bottle!:drink: I think that depends on the wine. I like large balloon type glasses for reds, where you can swirl the wine around to"open it up". With whites, which are usually served cold, I prefer a Champagne type glass. Desert wine, like eiswein, I prefer in an aperitif or cordial glass.

Back in UK I had a set of glasses that each held a 70 cl bottle full. Obviously I was sufficiently couth to only half fill them.

{They were a present from the brother-in-law}

The advantage of large wine glasses is that you should get more prawns in your prawn cocktail.

I can credit some of the birth of my son to buying 10 oz. martini glasses not long beforehand.

The advantage of large wine glasses is that you should get more prawns in your prawn cocktail.

Another advantage is telling your doctor that you only drink two glasses of wine a day which sounds much better than two bottles a day.

wine glass.jpg

Last edited:
Back in the '70s, there was a chain of novelty stores called Spencer's in many of the malls. They carried huge beer mugs and wine glasses the had "I Bet You Can't" printed on them.

I much prefer stemware in the manner Craigsy described. I'm not sure i'd like the newer wine glasses that look like thin snifter with its stem cut off.

Oh, and yes, a snifter of Cuvee Du Cent Cinquantenaire Gran Marnier, and a Cuban cigar.

My knees just buckled at the thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom