What the devil...?

Ellyn

Veteran
Local time
3:38 AM
Deviled eggs are the process of hard-boiling eggs, cutting them in half, scooping out the yellow parts, and then filling the little bowls in the cooked whites where the yolk used to be with something devilishly delicious.

Recently this was how I deviled my boiled eggs:

- egg yolks
- blackstrap molasses
- ketchup
- ground peppermill

Mix it all up to taste, in a paste! Then add back to the whites. It didn't look very good, but I thought the sort of BBQ egg flavor it had was great.

How do you like to devil your eggs?

Also, since most deviled eggs add the yolks back, there's usually going to be more filling (the volume of the yolks that used to occupy the whites, plus all the other ingredients) than there is space to fill. What do you do then? Does the extra deviled yolk get turned into a dip? Or are the deviled eggs not flat, but like filled until each half of cooked egg white gets what looks like a whole yolk each?

The two halves of the egg are not meant to be flat when they are refilled. The filling should form a small heap over the middle of the egg.

I like the idea of molasses and ketchup but I would prefer something a little more spicy. A touch of Tabasco would be good, added to the ketchup and chopped egg yolk. Worcestershire sauce is also good in egg dishes.

The above recipes all sound really good I'll definitely have to try them at some point but recently I have been doing something a little different. This definitely doesn't fall under a traditional deviled egg but to keep things a bit healthier I add hummus to the egg instead of the yolks. It can be just as filling but healthier!

Deviled eggs can be so easy to make. I've had different variations and I have to say the one I tried with lemon juice and paprika. It had a bit of sourness but oh so good.

The two halves of the egg are not meant to be flat when they are refilled. The filling should form a small heap over the middle of the egg.

I'm thinking of using a cookie scoop next time to make that heap, maybe one that would be the size of an egg yolk. Maybe just for when it's for a party, though.

I've seen people just use a pipe, the same kind used for icing.

I add hummus to the egg instead of the yolks.

Oh, I like that! For the flavor I imagine which is great, and for the culinary pun because hummus is made out of chickpeas.

lemon juice and paprika.
I like that, too, it's quite simple and flavorful.

I think I may have seen a recipe in the past that called for mixing in wasabi with the mayo and egg yolk for a change of pace. For another Asian variation, perhaps that chili garlic paste (from the folks who make Sriracha sauce) mixed with the mayo and egg yolk. Or what about some horseradish? I love horseradish and mayo simply mixed together for a dipping sauce or a spread, some egg yolk would make it even richer.

Instead of regular paprika, a sweet smoked paprika may be fun too - it would almost give it a bacon-like aroma to it.

Or if you really love garlic, perhaps blend some roasted garlic in with the mayo and egg yolk. I suppose that would taste a bit like an aoli sauce.

Back
Top Bottom