What time do you eat??

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
7:49 PM
My daughter has just got back from 6 weeks In Europe. They are tea around 10 pm or even 11pm. France was lunches from 12 to 3 or 4 and wine with everything. She said everyone did the same??.
We eat here around 6ish the same growing up as well.
I cant get my head around so late.

Russ

In France and the mediterranean they live mostly at night due to the climate, thats why they eat later than usual in most other countries.

Here in NL eating between 17.00 and 20.00 in the evening is standard. As for myself, I eat a hot meal at noon ( 12 ish) due to my bowel disease.

Most Northern European countries are roughly the same as we are.

Both hubby and I grew up in the UK, so, we eat breakfast arrive 30 mins after getting up, so about 6:30am (it used to be 6am inn working life in the UK unless I was on earlies in which case 3:30am)...
Dinner or what most call lunch has always been 12pm because frankly waiting until 1pm is too long since brekky and also at school (I worked in one for 7 years), it was 12pm as well.

Tea or evening meal, is normally 6pm, earlier if we're hungry, never ever anything after 7pm... 7pm would only happen if hubby is late home from work... any later and I'd eat without him. I got to bed early so eating late and then flung to bed just don't work well for me...

Both of us were brought up in families where evening meal was on the table at 6pm and if you weren't there, you'd need a very good reason. (Grandparents for me, parents for hubby).

Our times are very regimented. Weekdays, I have breakfast at 8:30AM, a light lunch at about 12:30PM, and supper between 5:30PM-6PM, and the evening cuppa and biscuit/cookie at 8:30PM…if everything goes according to plan. MrsT usually has breakfast at 10AM, and skips lunch, but has a snack around 4PM.

Weekends, breakfast for both of us is around 10AM, a snack around 1:30PM (if I’m home) and supper a little earlier, around 5PM-5:30PM, and something in the evening around 8PM (sometimes popcorn instead of something sweet).

We’re trying to get into the retiree thing of eating two meals a day, like 10AM and 4:30PM (seriously), just so we eat less and do less cooking, but it hasn’t worked out yet.

Growing up, mealtimes we’re on a clock, too. Dad expected supper to be ready when he walked through the door at 5:30PM, no excuses.

Our times are very regimented. Weekdays, I have breakfast at 8:30AM, a light lunch at about 12:30PM, and supper between 5:30PM-6PM, and the evening cuppa and biscuit/cookie at 8:30PM…if everything goes according to plan. MrsT usually has breakfast at 10AM, and skips lunch, but has a snack around 4PM.

Weekends, breakfast for both of us is around 10AM, a snack around 1:30PM (if I’m home) and supper a little earlier, around 5PM-5:30PM, and something in the evening around 8PM (sometimes popcorn instead of something sweet).

We’re trying to get into the retiree thing of eating two meals a day, like 10AM and 4:30PM (seriously), just so we eat less and do less cooking, but it hasn’t worked out yet.

Growing up, mealtimes we’re on a clock, too. Dad expected supper to be ready when he walked through the door at 5:30PM, no excuses.

My parents have long been by-the-clock eaters.

CD

My parents have long been by-the-clock eaters.

CD
You’ll laugh at this, but on weekday mornings, I’ll actually stand at the threshold between the living room and the kitchen, with my eye on the microwave clock.

“8:28…8:29…8:30. Right, time for breakfast,” and that’s when I’ll go in and get my cereal.

My daughter has just got back from 6 weeks In Europe. They are tea around 10 pm or even 11pm. France was lunches from 12 to 3 or 4 and wine with everything. She said everyone did the same??.
We eat here around 6ish the same growing up as well.
I cant get my head around so late.

Russ
We eat dinner around 9-10 pm unless we have the in-laws over or go to someone else's house who eats earlier.

Breakfast around noon, lunch at about 4, so I guess that's technically brunch and tea.

My eating schedule is mostly done around my work schedule. On weekends its more flexible but even then, I don't stray too far. Breakfast in the morning, lunch around noon, and dinner is usually around 6:30 or 7:00 to give myself some time between getting out of work and making dinner. If dinner that night is something that doesn't need prep work, and the wife is also hungry at the time, we may eat right after 5.

There's been times when we've eaten after 9pm but those are more "oh wait, we forgot to have dinner" nights.

We eat dinner around 9-10 pm unless we have the in-laws over or go to someone else's house who eats earlier.

That's about the same for me and often later. I've always eaten dinner (evening meal) late, ever since I left home many decades ago. When I was at home with my parents the evening meal was 'tea' and was around 6 pm. Then sometimes a bit of 'supper' later in the evening before bed.

I don't do breakfast and simply snack a bit in the day - though I do make lunch for partner around 1pm. He eats his evening meal at 6pm. This is fairly recent and since his dementia has advanced as he wants to go to bed by 6.30pm. I'm up until at least midnight.

We're not by the clock for any of our meals.
I prefer brunch, say about 9-11am and then what I call linner-late lunch/early dinner, anywhere from 2-4pm and then a snack/dessert later in the evening, maybe 8-11pm.
If we have appointments early in the day, well then that throws a monkey wrench into the day :laugh: I don't like early.
And I've mentioned this before, I'm not the by the books breakfast food eater, I like leftovers from the night before or a cup of hearty soup, my husband thinks I'm nuts.

And I've mentioned this before, I'm not the by the books breakfast food eater, I like leftovers from the night before or a cup of hearty soup, my husband thinks I'm nuts.
I'm with you on this. I love leftovers for breakfast. My husband has gotten used to it, though he still finds it odd and won't do the same. About 1 out of 5 times I will eat what I'm making him for breakfast, only a much smaller portion size. And if I can figure out a way to transform leftovers into a suitable vehicle for eggs that looks like breakfast, I'm serving it to him!

I'm from Portugal, it's common here for people to have lunch anywhere between 1PM-3PM and dinner 8PM-10PM. In my mom's house lunch is 4pm and dinner never earlier than 9PM,sometimes as late as 11PM on weekends or special days. This is standard here in my country.

I personally prefer to eat earlier. I usually lunch at 12PM,and have dinner around 7PM.

Back
Top Bottom