What time do you prefer to get up in the morning?

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
3:07 PM
This came up on another thread. Now, I know that many of you have to get up early for work or because of kids - but here I'm referring to your preferred time to get up. For me its late - preferably after 10 am. My partner here, however, gets up earlier and earlier since he retired and goes to bed at the obscenely early hour (to me) of 9.30 pm! I'm usually up until 1.30 a.m.

So, left to your own devices when would you get up in the morning (or afternoon!)? Has this changed as you got older. And what time do you go to bed?

I'm up around 6 a.m. I like to sit and have coffee for an hour before I head out to work for what is usually a 9 hour day...Home around 6:45..I try and stay up, but sometimes after a couple and dinner, and, if I have nothing on, I start to fade around 930..usually in bed around 10 or 11...
For many years I played drums in working bands. I'd be in bed by 3 a.m. at least three nights a week and still get up at 6 or 7. Not anymore..not sure if it's age or wisdom....

Last edited:
If we don't have any plans when we have time off then we are usually up and about between 9.30-10.00am, still wake up around 6.30am as usual but 1 of us makes the tea and we both snuggle back down again.

After working 24 years of rotating shifts (even rotating all three shifts within the same week), and then doing the midnight shift 6 to 7 days a week for the past 6 years, I have no idea what is regular sleep.

I catch about an hour or two when possible at work, usually sometime between 2 and 6 AM (although I wake up within that time to check work emails for system alarms), and then I try to sleep 3 or 4 hours at home from 11 to 3 PM.

But for the rest of you diurnal folks:

View: https://youtu.be/71smG5d29to

When I worked I liked to get up around 6.30 then start at 8 [half an hour early then finish early - result was missing all the traffic :) [although being on 24 hour standby could ruin the plan]. Now it depends on the time of year - winter = about 8.30sh [time to walk dog] and summer = about 7.30ish [dog gets an early walk]

Great minds, @morning glory. I was thinking of starting a thread just like this. :wink:

We are veritable slugs in this house compared to you early birds. Once upon a time I was a morning person, what with a job, and then kids. Once the kids moved out (or, rather, we moved away from our adult children), I'd sleep in until 9:30 AM or 10 AM, rolling over after kissing hubby off to work. Then his work schedule changed to 4:00 PM to midnight...or later. By nature, he is a night owl, seeing as how his lifetime interest has been astronomy. Hard to see the stars at noon!

Since his retirement a few years ago, it seems we're staying up later and later. My best chance of getting a sunrise photo is if I snap on on the way to bed. One of us is going to have to bite the bullet and start waking up earlier. I'm afraid it will have to be me...:cry:

Great minds, @morning glory. I was thinking of starting a thread just like this. :wink:

We are veritable slugs in this house compared to you early birds. Once upon a time I was a morning person, what with a job, and then kids. Once the kids moved out (or, rather, we moved away from our adult children), I'd sleep in until 9:30 AM or 10 AM, rolling over after kissing hubby off to work. Then his work schedule changed to 4:00 PM to midnight...or later. By nature, he is a night owl, seeing as how his lifetime interest has been astronomy. Hard to see the stars at noon!

Since his retirement a few years ago, it seems we're staying up later and later. My best chance of getting a sunrise photo is if I snap on on the way to bed. One of us is going to have to bite the bullet and start waking up earlier. I'm afraid it will have to be me...:cry:

Why worry? Unless you want to take pictures of sunrise it doesn't matter...

Taken at around 03:40 a few years ago.
17.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

After working 24 years of rotating shifts (even rotating all three shifts within the same week), and then doing the midnight shift 6 to 7 days a week for the past 6 years, I have no idea what is regular sleep.

I catch about an hour or two when possible at work, usually sometime between 2 and 6 AM (although I wake up within that time to check work emails for system alarms), and then I try to sleep 3 or 4 hours at home from 11 to 3 PM.

But for the rest of you diurnal folks:

View: https://youtu.be/71smG5d29to
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEUH0v6IRVc

Why worry? Unless you want to take pictures of sunrise it doesn't matter...
It's not a matter of wanting sunrise pictures since I could take that on the way to bed. It's more along the line that we need to become daytime people if we're to get any work done around here. I have to call on my hired handyman to add a deck to the rear of our house, since we've been without for a while. We put on an addition, the couldn't decide on what size/shape deck. Now that we're starting to plan a return to our home state, "basic and just big enough" are the requirements. Since outside work begins here around 7:00 AM, someone has to roll out of bed to greet Dave. *yawn* "I'll get it, honey..."

Back
Top Bottom