What to do with meaty beef bones

MrMajeika

Local time
4:07 PM
Bought some beef bones from my local supermarket. They have a fair amount of meat on them. Not really sure what to use them for. Couldnt decide between a cottage pie or lasagne for dinner. Already have beef mince and saw the bones and they were cheap so just bought them. If I do a cottage pie should I roast the bones first then add them to the sauce? Or if I do a lasagne I could just add the bones to the ragu and cook for longer?

One phenomenal use for beef bones is to use them to make a stock. Throw them in a large pot of water with carrots, onion, and seasonings of your choosing (I always use thyme and rosemary). Add salt if you like. I typically start with 6 cups of water when I make a stock, but it really depends on how much weight in bones you have. You could easily double the quantity (which might require a second pot, depending on how large your largest pot is).

Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and heat for 4 hours. Strain out everything (including the bones), and save the broth for a variety of uses. Then, depending on how big the bones are, you can give them to your dog (or a friend's dog), and they will love you for it. I say "depending on how big the bones are" because small ones can be dangerous for dogs, since they might be swallowed whole.

beef-stock-56a20f4b5f9b58b7d0c62253.jpg

Back
Top Bottom